How often does OS X Panther crash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
How often does OS X Panther crash( like a finder lockup)? I was talking to a friend a bit ago, and he said that he wasn't doing anything, and he declines to have hardware problems, and his Finder just locked-up, and he couldn't relaunch it, he HAD to log out, and then back in... How often does this happen? He seems to believe that OS X commonly has finder lockups and crashes, but I disagree. I believe that when the user has done nothing, and there are no hardware problems, the likelyhood of a finder-lockup is EXTREMELY RARE..

Comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I believe it's incredibly rare and likely happens with a computer less than ideally maintained. Since Christmas, I have had no problems at all! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
13 months with no finder lockups or kernal panics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Depends what your doing and running i think... I've had it locking up for running some poorly coded shareware applications, occasionally when I'm opening huge documents. Since installing Panther, haven't experience a Kernel Panic, yet! But i do lose my Finder regularly, i just re-login and every-thing's fine.

FYI: 500Mb isn't what i regard as a large document, I'm thinking more along the lines of 1.2Gb or bigger!

Reaction score
I have experienced frequent lock-ups and crashes. I had thought it was because I don't have enough RAM (384 MB) to run all the programs I do at once (usually, Safari, MSN Messenger, iChat, iTunes, sometimes Dreamweaver or an Office app).

Now I think I am using an incomplete or corrupted version of Panther.

According to my System Info, the following is what I show as being the versions I have installed:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.4 (7H63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.4.0

Considering I have 4 discs and not one of them has the Classic installer, I am beginning to think I have either a Beta build or some other fishiness.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
thats the same build as i have

its not a beta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
When you buy panther separately it doesn't come with Classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
in my experience finder lock ups happen when:
1. user clicks (one click, to highlight) on video files (.avi; .mov) in column view. the finder is trying to generate the preview and you get a spining wheel. the duration of lock up depends on hardware speed and video compression.
2. user tries to brows folders on connected server when connection speed is low. same thing here: finder generates the preview and the connection speed determines the lock up duretion.

if you just let it go finder will get back to normal as soon as it completes the task. (may take a while).
this is not a crush!
you cannot log out or do anything if it crushes. you cant even forse quit/relounch.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Mac OS X has crashed 7 times a few days ago, and again like 3 days ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Absolute Zero said:
Mac OS X has crashed 7 times a few days ago, and again like 3 days ago.

Really? Geez, Abs, there must be something really wrong with your Mac...I had maybe 10 crashes in the last 6 months, 8 of them provoked by myself (fiddling with "unaccessible" system files) and only 1 Kernel panic.
I think you really got a bad egg... :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Mine has only crashed once and that was because of some very poorly written alpha software so that was really my fault :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah mine has never crashed, the Finder has crashed with beta software, but the whole system has never crashed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
My system has crashed a few times, and during those instances, I cant force quit or anything, the mouse doesnt move and I have to shut off the whole system by keeping the power button depressed and then starting it back on. My mac is well maintained and I dont use huge programs/files. Just normal stuff.

Z

zakatov

I suspect that bad RAM is to blame for most of the system instability, because in many cases it is the ONLY 3rd party hardware installed. I have good (Apple/Crucial) RAM in all my systems, and never had any panics or lockups.

just my 2 cents

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Nothing wrong with my PowerBook...

T

TylerMoney

I have had one crash in 3 months, and before that..none...except for the first week I had it or so...something with networking crashed the system, but an update fixed that pretty quickly. I've had my pb for about 9 months. I couldn't be happier with the os. Now it's time to see if I update to 10.3.5 now, or wait a while to see what happens for everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.