"Speech" got quite annoying (Leopard bug?)

Reaction score
Well, I have never really used it before but I try to explore everything a bit more since I am running Leopard. So here is my story:

After playing for a while with the background effects in Photo Booth I ended up in the System Preferences. Hmm... Speech. That sounds like fun. I clicked on it, activated pretty much everything I could and checked how good my new pet (the Leopard) could understand me. It actually worked really well except of the fact that I couldn't understand those "Knock Knock" jokes after I said "Tell me a joke". But that might just be me.

Anyway, after a few settings (and since I clicked on everything I don't know which setting in specific) the voice started to document everything I did. Changed focus, window, app, .... Just everything. Well, that got way to annoying and I decided to switch it off. Switched off everything in the "Text to speech" dialog and deactivated "Speech recognition" (even though that shouldn't have anything to do with it...). Still "Alex" was talking about everything I did.

Reboot didn't help. What to do? Activated all "Text to speech" settings, deactivated it again. Still nothing to shut up Alex. After a while I got the idea to check out the Activity Monitor and saw an application:

screenreadert(not responding)

That could be it! So I clicked on it and clicked on "Quit". Just as fast as the application was gone, it restarted. Was ok for a second and "not responding" right after a split second. And of course Alex documented all that. I tried the same procedure a few times - even rebooted again. Nothing helped.

But eventually I found a "fix" - quite cruel, but effective: Open Terminal window, go to /usr/sbin:

cd /usr/sbin/

rename the file so next time Leopard tries to start it, it won't be there:

sudo mv screenreadert sreenreadert_renamed

You will have to confirm that with your root password.

After that quit Terminal, go back to your Activity Monitoy and quit that not responding "screenreadert". Now: Silence is golden!

...well, that might not be the correct fix for that and I will probably rename the file tomorrow to its normal name, but for now I had enough of that and just wanted it to shut up. Anyone else who had the same problem or can try it out if the same phenomenon occurs?

Feedback is much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I think you've turned VoiceOver on (in the accessibility panel rather than speech). A quick CMD-F5 should shut it up.

OP
dekan
Reaction score
Thx for your answer!

Alright, I will check that once I renamed the file again. But still: Should it be not responding and restart as soon as I quit the process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Thx for your answer!

Alright, I will check that once I renamed the file again. But still: Should it be not responding and restart as soon as I quit the process?

If VoiceOver is on then it's likely the task is being restarted automatically. Someone who needs voiceover isn't going to want to have to keep restarting it manually to use it after a restart.

And... renaming system files is a Bad Idea. ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.