Some really dumb questions

Reaction score
I just got a new 15.4" MacBook Pro, and I have some questions:

- Why have desktop icons AND the Dock?
- How do you navigate the file system? is it the same at the Linux one?
- Should I use Office:Mac or iWork?
- Do iMovie and Final Cut do the same thing?

Thanks!

EDIT: By "How do you navigate the file system", I mean, what it the equivalent to "C:/" for HDD, and "D:/" for CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Why not?
Um, by double-clicking on icons? Or through the terminal, using standard Unix® commands. The directory structure is similar in many ways to Linux, but the filesystem itself is different.
Searching on "office iwork" will get you started. Let us know if you have any specific questions

Thanks!
Well, yes, in the sense that a hand grenade and a nuclear bomb do the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

Same reason as in windows, just different ways of organizing. I like a clean desktop so I don't put stuff on my desktop. Think of the Dock as the Start button and it makes more sense at first.

Finder is essentially the same as Windows Explorer in what it's for. Click on the finder icon and it comes up similar to clicking on My Documents in Windows. Clicking on one of the HDD icons in the upper right will be like opening up My Computer in windows.

I'll let someone else take these. Don't know enough about them.

-MikeM

Reaction score

You can do as you like .... there's no set fast rule here ... customise to your hearts content. My Dock is set to Auto-Hide so I have a few folders for my own satisfaction.

Navigate the File System like this if you like:

In Finder:

Shift + Command + H will launch your Home folder
Shift + Command + A will launch your Applications Folder
Shift + Command + U will launch your Utilities Folder

This is only the *tip* of the iceberg and many more handy tips are found in Finder Help ... just type keyboard shortcuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

The dock doesn't store files, just shortcuts. The desktop in an actual folder where you can store things.

EDIT: By "How do you navigate the file system", I mean, what it the equivalent to "C:/" for HDD, and "D:/" for CD.

Drive have names, not letters. The "C:/" drive is "Macintosh HD" by default, but you can name it whatever you want. "D:/" won't show up until you actually put a disk in; then it will show the disk icon & name in the Finder/on the desktop.

At the moment, iWork. It works with Office 2007 [for Windows] files, whereas Office 2004 [for Mac] doesn't. Office 2004 is also a PPC binary [was compiled to run on older hardware, and the new macs have to translate it on-the-fly], so it will run slower, and I believe it isn't fully Cocoa [the OS X "programming language"], so it can't take advantage of some of OS X's features. You should have a trial version of each on your new Mac, so try them for yourself. Office 2008 is around the corner, so if you don't get on with iWork, that should make things better.

They are both video editing software, but Final Cut is what pro editors use; it offers a lot more power/flexibility, but is more expensive & harder to learn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.