Warning on Seagate Drives

Reaction score
That's disappointing. Over the years I've relied on Seagate more than any other hard drive company, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Seagate has always been a subpar hard drive maker IMO. Western Digital makes far superior products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Seagate was one of the few that would actually back up their products with a 3, and now 5 year warranty. While Western Digital and the rest were sitting at a 1 year warranty. Given that now Western Digital has a 5 year warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Whew! Mine's a Toshiba. Notebook drives only, right? I have a 3.5 inch external which might be a Seagate, but I suspect that it's a Western Digital.

I bought one of those USB externals, ripped the drive out of the enclosure it came in (and by ripped, I mean I had to really tear into that enclosure, kind of destroying it in the process) and put it in my firewire enclosure. Pretty sure it was a WD. It's been running without a problem for about 8 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Seagate has always been a subpar hard drive maker IMO. Western Digital makes far superior products.

Please don't post nonsense statements like that. Seagate has been one of the most reliable hard drive manufacturers for many years now, and you will find many sources backing up this claim.

Just because you may have had, or know somebody who has had a bad experience doesn't make it "subpar" it just makes you unlucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Please don't post nonsense statements like that. Seagate has been one of the most reliable hard drive manufacturers for many years now, and you will find many sources backing up this claim.

Just because you may have had, or know somebody who has had a bad experience doesn't make it "subpar" it just makes you unlucky.

Nonsense statements?? Do you sell/install/repair computer hardware for a living???

Wanna know what brand hard drive we replace the most due to failed units in our store??

Seagate...and by a pretty substantial margin.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.