HD Space Filling Up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
I've had my MBP for a little over a year now; and I'm noticing that even though I keep most of my music, document, and movies on an external HD, my in-machine HD seems to be continually filling up. With what, I'm not so sure. I'm wondering if there are certain files/folders/caches that need to be cleared/dumped periodically in order to keep the HD from filling up with needless info and documentation. Or perhaps OSX saves files/applications in two different places that would cause needless space to be used up. Any help that anyone has on the topic would be much appreciated. I used the search function but wasn't sure exactly what I was searching for so my results did come up with much. Thanks again everyone!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've had my MBP for a little over a year now; and I'm noticing that even though I keep most of my music, document, and movies on an external HD, my in-machine HD seems to be continually filling up. With what, I'm not so sure. I'm wondering if there are certain files/folders/caches that need to be cleared/dumped periodically in order to keep the HD from filling up with needless info and documentation. Or perhaps OSX saves files/applications in two different places that would cause needless space to be used up. Any help that anyone has on the topic would be much appreciated. I used the search function but wasn't sure exactly what I was searching for so my results did come up with much. Thanks again everyone!

I found this little gem of a program and like it quite a bit - it will scan your drive and give you an idea of where all of the space is being allocated.

As far as maintenance goes, Onyx does a great job with cleaning up cached information. It is the only maintenance tool you'll need (just be aware that the release version is not currently compatible with Leopard).

OP
NolaWegs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
Good stuff thanks for all the help everyone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.