can't connect to mac pro with external IP address

Reaction score
hi

i am looking to connect to my mac pro over the internet (i.e. not from my local network) for remotely accessing itunes and using remote desktop, share screen etc, but cannot connect with the external ip address.

I am wondering whether the fact that my ethernet connection to the router goes through an ethernet switch has anything to do with the problem.

i have logged in to the router and the WAN IP address that comes up on the router is the same as the address that i get on the Mac Pro, but there are three other addresses, namely primary and secondary DNS and GW IP Address that are different. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

I would be grateful for any help in setting this up.

thanks

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
How are you trying to connect? What's the application you're using?

I'd imagine you'll need to set up some kind of port forwarding on the router, depending on the protocol you're using.

EG, say you're running apache on the Mac, and connecting remotely from a browser, you'd need to set the router to forward port 80 to the internal IP address of the Mac.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks. i am familiar with port forwarding. what ports do i need to forward for the back to my mac feature in leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Sorry, no idea for that. I don't have Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.