Global EQ/sound control? Onboard sound is too thin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I was wondering if there are any 3rd party apps that allow you to tailor the outgoing sound. I'm aware that Audium lets you play around with sound settings on an app to app basis. But i'm looking for something that will affect everything at once.

Or, even better...are replacement speakers available? These things just sound too darn thin. I'm assuming i'd void my warantee by opening the computer up to do that, but i'm curious as to what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

-Nick

Reaction score
I would also love to have an universal eq.

However, I dont think eq will solve your problem. Adding more lows with a eq will simply cause the speakers to distort. You could try rolling off some highs though.

If you are used to good quality sound, I dont think you will ever be happy with notebook speakers. Mind you, most of the consumer stuff out there sounds HORRIBLE. Dont trust user reviews either, most guys dont really know what a good speaker should sound like (like people saying ipod earphones sound good).

What I did is I went out and listened to every consumer speaker I saw. Whenever I was in a shop and I saw something, I had a listen. (good idea to listen the same track, same quality on all of them) and then decide what you like most.

Strangely enough, the JBL consumber range didnt impress me. I actually bought a pair of sansui's, believe it or not. I still cant believe it. Does it have a flat response? **** no. Does it go to 20k? No way. Does it sound pleasing? YES. Does it match the apple look...well...have a look at the pic.

So to answer your q: I am not aware of any universal eq. If there is, I would love to hear about it. If you fiddle with the eq, I would try rolling off some highs and a little bit of mids.

EDIT::: Please don't bash my setup (note the brilliant mouse pad.) That mini is just for reading mail, facebooking and watching DVD's. My editing gets done elsewhere.

DSC00321.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.