iPhoto Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Having a minor issue with an otherwise fabulous program, hope this is the right section to ask for help? Apologies if not.

Whenever I open I photo a little prompt box comes up asking me if I was like to import 126 pictures it could not do before from my camera. I've tried clicking 'Ok' and leaving it, but the program just crashes each time and I have to force it to quit. The only way I can get rid of it is to click 'Cancel'. I've tried this with both my camera connected and unconnected, but nothing helps. Just annoys me having to close this box whenever I use iPhoto :(

ANy advice appreciated. Thanks!

xxx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I'm asuming you are running iPhoto 6 if not then this may work anyway

Have you repaired Permissions ?

or

Trash (Or just drag to desktop)your iPhoto plist (Home folder---Library---Preferences)

if not try to launch iPhoto holding down the cmd()+option key and choose one or all of the rebuild options

I hope some of this may help

M

MacHeadCase

Not a big time iPhoto user myself but... Did you try deleting the pref file?

Path is this:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> your account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Another thing to try is launch Image Capture.app in your Applications folder right now. It will tell you there is no device connected but that's ok. In the menubar, under Image Capture, click on Preferences and, in the Camera - When a camera is connected, open: section, select Image Capture.app from the drop down menu.

This will prevent iPhoto from opening when you plug in your camera. You can tell Image Capture.app to download to your desktop and then launch manually iPhoto and see if it still crashes.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck! :)

Edited to add:

DOH! Kilted1 beat me to it! His ideas sound fabulous so try what he suggests! :)

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I'm trying the rebuild as my first port of call, hopefully it wont delete everything! But I have all my photo's on my iPod so it wont be such a catastrophe! I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the replies :)

( Long time no speak MHC, I hope you're well! )

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Yeah, I'm all good thank you!

iPhoto is still not playing nice after doing the repair all thingy! How do I repair permissions? Is that the same thing?

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I'm a bit confused by that, where or what is the root level of the iPhoto library? Sorry, being a bit dense! :(

Reaction score
I think by *root level* they mean that instead of looking within the iPhoto apps library, look instead to:

YourUserName ~> Pictures ~> iPhoto Library

I think normally root level refers to MacintoshHD instead of User, but not exactly sure ....

iPhoto Backup TIP

For anyone who values their photo collection and uses iPhoto there's this:

iPhoto db Backup

an Automator application for automatically creating an orange labeled copy of the iPhoto 6 database file, Library6.iPhoto, in the Pictures folder. It is iPhoto 7 compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I can see the confusion here. Spawn is right on this one it refers to the iPhoto directory. You should (Maybe) have the Recovered Photos or import folder there.

Just move them to the desktop and re-launch. let us know how it goes.

if you are running iPhoto 7 I'm not sure how this will work as the folder system is now just a file and you can't open it like you could with iPhoto6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.