Rosetta?

Reaction score
what is it? I've been hearing a lot about it in that is slows the performance of games on OSx. Is this the reason that games like halo1 run poorly on osx, but yet i can run HL2 on XP perfectly? It has always confused me because spec wise my computer should be able to run old games like Halo 1 without trouble. If this is true, is there any reason to install upcoming games such as starcraft 2 on osx, or should i just install it on my xp partition and get better framerates. Is there any advantages of playing games under OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OK.

Rosetta has been explained many times, as Macheadcase says, but put simply it allows PowerPC applications to run on Intel machines and yes, they run a lot slower than an equivalent PowerPC chip.

Games easily suffer the worst, because they are the most sensitive to CPU bottlenecks and Halo 1 is VERY sensitive, because it wasn't particularly well written in the 1st place. Having said that, there is a universal binary for Halo 1 (meaning it is now optimised to run on both Intel and PowerPC without Rosetta). You will see a hige improvement.

My advice is this. If there is a universal binary, get the Mac version. If it's a slower paced game, like Civ III, you get risk the Rosetta version, and I honestly think you're doing a good thing supporting Mac gaming.

However, if there is no Mac version, then obviously running in Bootcamp is the next best thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.