Leopard upgrade ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
Received my Leopard disk from Apple today and have to say I am very disapointed with the way that it was packaged. I received an "upgrade DVD" not what seems to be the full retail version and it arrived in a white CD sleeve with a slightly shoddy looking Leopard booklet. I bought my macbook on 1/10/2007 and only paid £6 for this but the way it arrived was very poor indeed.

Can someone confirm that I should only have received the upgrade and not the full version ? - don't get me wrong I have installed it and all is working but I was expecting a nice shiney box - maybe too much to ask for http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Gasp.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I got the same as you.

I'm in 2 minds about it, on one hand I only paid £5.95 for it but on the other the only reason I got it at that price is because I paid £800 for a new mac & £150 for a new ipod not to mention the software only 3 weeks ago.

But yea I was a little disappointed Im just wondering why they would bother? I mean how much could they have actually saved by just sending us a white paper envelope?

Anyway it installed fine & I'm really enjoying it so can't complain really

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Yes, you both got the equivalent of an OEM disc, not a retail disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Mine came in a small box with the cool X and the new Leopard purple looking universe background on it. Had the booklet, apple stickers...etc

says retail on it...

OP
fraser38
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
I got the same as you.

I'm in 2 minds about it, on one hand I only paid £5.95 for it but on the other the only reason I got it at that price is because I paid £800 for a new mac & £150 for a new ipod not to mention the software only 3 weeks ago.

But yea I was a little disappointed Im just wondering why they would bother? I mean how much could they have actually saved by just sending us a white paper envelope?

Anyway it installed fine & I'm really enjoying it so can't complain really

I agree but if other users who purchased after 1/10/2007 get the full retail version, I want the same. I feel let down as if "well he only paid £6 so here is your £6 worth" - I parted with nearly £800 at the beginning of the month !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I agree but if other users who purchased after 1/10/2007 get the full retail version, I want the same. I feel let down as if "well he only paid £6 so here is your £6 worth" - I parted with nearly £800 at the beginning of the month !!

But when you get a new Mac, you don't get a retail version of the OS (which can be installed on any machine). You only get one for the Mac you bought.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Payment was for Shipping and not the OS itself.

OP
fraser38
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
The Payment was for Shipping and not the OS itself.

Didn't know that and listen I'm not complaining my god I got it for nothing !! but I was just expecting something better from Apple but the OS is working very well

Thanks for the input

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know, was just letting people know in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I was also a little let down. I recieved mine today and thought I was gonna get a hologram box or something. Instead it came in a brown envelope via usps. I paid $10.50 for shipping when it only cost $3.00 or so to ship this way.

Oh well, it installed flawlessly and I'm using it right now...

T

Reaction score
i just got the little envelope too!
oh well, just think of all those trees you are saving in reduced packaging O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
that is weird
i got mine for $10 as well And i was expecting the box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
Perhaps the key here is that for those who paid the full retail price, got the nice marketing presentation. Since some paid substantially less, they received the lesser version. Just a guess on my part. I know I paid $189 via Amazon and got the full thing. It installed flawlessly and is pretty nifty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Just look at my iLife 08 disc!

SN150318.gif

The audacity of them not giving me a nice shiny box!

Still, it's better than my iLife 06/Tiger disc... I can't believe how minimalist they are on that packaging!

SN150321.gif

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, White Macbook, iPod Video
I got an iMac in late August. Do I qualify for any special discounts on Leopard? I know some people who bought theirs in October got a discount..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
For people who got the UTD were you able to do a clean install? Or just an upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
what they got should be the equivalent of what someone who purchases a mac now with leopard would get instead of a full retail one. so you can upgrade, fresh install, and everything with your tiger disc, but it will only work on your mac model. (i am assuming from the posts. i got the retail one...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
Hi,

I recieved my copy of Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard today and it came in just a white CD sleeve with Instruction manual book.

People who have posted here say its not the full version. Does that mean that it doesn't come with features that are on the Retail version install disc?

Please advise

Artmuzz

OP
fraser38
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
I got an iMac in late August. Do I qualify for any special discounts on Leopard? I know some people who bought theirs in October got a discount..

My understanding is that you needed to buy your mac between the 1/10/2007 and 31/12/2007 to get it at the reduced price

OP
fraser38
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
Hi,

I recieved my copy of Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard today and it came in just a white CD sleeve with Instruction manual book.

People who have posted here say its not the full version. Does that mean that it doesn't come with features that are on the Retail version install disc?

Please advise

Artmuzz

I have the upgrade DVD like yourself and everything seems to work as it should but I have only had it seen yesterday so time will tell - it should be exactly the same but if it is an OEM version it will only work on the mac you have and not another machine - that is my understanding of OEM software from my windows past - it burns its-self into the motherboard of the machine in essence

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.