Startup Woes

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm fairly new to macs so I hope I provide everything you all need to know to help me on this.

os 10.4.10
PowerMac G5 dual 2.7ghz
4.5Gb RAM
2x 250Gb HD

The computer was working perfectly on Friday, shut down over the weekend and turned it on this morning and all the problems started.

The mac makes it to the desktop, loads my wallpaper, the dock, the menu bar minus the time and volume control icons, and about 50% of the time will load icons for HDs. And that's where it stops.

I can move the cursor around, but there's absolutely no response otherwise. It just sits there looking almost like it's completely up and running (minus the time and volume icons on the menu bar) and that's it.

I booted from my OS CD and ran the volume verification on both HDs. They both came back reporting minor errors. I repaired both, and they came back successful. I restart and the computer continues to have the same problem. I've then gone back and booted from the OS CD again, re-verified and it apprears as though the disk errors return.

Repair again: Successful, Verify again: Successful Restart again: Same Problem.

I've gone through this cycle a few times and it seems to be pretty consistent.

I've run the quick hardware test located on the OS CD as well, and that came back reporting no problems.

Should I run the extended hardware test? Is there something else going on entirely? Any info you folks need that I didn't provide?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Did you reset the pram

OP
K
Reaction score
no, I didn't. I don't actually know what that is or how to do it. Explaination/ instructions please? :)

OP
K
Reaction score
I googled it and it seems to be working. Thank you so much for the suggestion MACGIRL34!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.