Leopard 10.5 Rainbow Glass Dock Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
ok, could someone help out the dummy over here?? lol. I can't do the rainbow, But the black looks really nice. I take the images over to photoshop, and paint them all black. I re-insert the pics, and now I have a totally black dock with no reflection and that other cool looking jazz. What did I do incorrectly?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok, could someone help out the dummy over here?? lol. I can't do the rainbow, But the black looks really nice. I take the images over to photoshop, and paint them all black. I re-insert the pics, and now I have a totally black dock with no reflection and that other cool looking jazz. What did I do incorrectly?

You filled the images black - you need to adjust the brightness and contrast levels to your liking. If you make it totally black, you'll get a totally black dock.

Reaction score
You don't even need photoshop. I adjusted the contrast/brightness in iPhoto and it worked like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD

To get a reflection it seems like you need a semi-transparent image.. lower the opacity on the layer and you should get a reflection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so do I fill all four with black, and then adjust all four's contrast. I'm sorry, I just don't understand which files that the Dock actually uses. If it's all four, then I am pretty lost... lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
You just need to, after making backup copies, edit all four of the files. You just need to turn the brightness all the way down and the contrast all the way up. You don't need to change the color. It'll happen automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
what's a terminal window?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For those of you who don't know what the Terminal is and/or don't know how to adjust contrast and brightness, I would suggest you stay away from this mod as it's clearly way beyond your technical abilities.

I really like the black dock. It's got me thinking about messing around with mine. ;P

Edit: Just finished. Yep, it definitely looks cooler. Great mod :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
but i just need to open a terminal window and i've done this :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i found a terminal window, typed in the stuff, the dashboard jumped, but i didn't get the rainbow dock.

i'm pretty sure i did all the steps correctly.

Reaction score
You don't need to use the terminal window, just open up activity monitor select "dock" and hit quit. Does anyone know which file is the one for the thin strip that runs along the bottom? I went for the darker contrast dock and it looks out of place.
-and to the person above me-
the same thing happened to me, go back into the resources file for the dock and make sure the files actually got replaced, it only works if all four get switched out with your new ones. for some reason its picky about letting you change them, I ended up having to trash the files in the resources folder (not my backups) before I could copy over my new ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you so much shusty! i finally got it!

....and thank YOU kirtydv....the rainbow dock is awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
You don't need to use the terminal window, just open up activity monitor select "dock" and hit quit. Does anyone know which file is the one for the thin strip that runs along the bottom? I went for the darker contrast dock and it looks out of place.
-and to the person above me-
the same thing happened to me, go back into the resources file for the dock and make sure the files actually got replaced, it only works if all four get switched out with your new ones. for some reason its picky about letting you change them, I ended up having to trash the files in the resources folder (not my backups) before I could copy over my new ones.

frontline.png found in the same folder as the scurves and indicators graphic files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You just need to, after making backup copies, edit all four of the files. You just need to turn the brightness all the way down and the contrast all the way up. You don't need to change the color. It'll happen automatically.

well, now isn't that just simple! Thanks. I'm gonna go try it after work :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, only 3 days and already mods are coming out!

Can't wait for cleardock again, though.

I went back and read the whole topic again, as I sometimes do, and I read the above post.

To fleurya: You could theoretically adjust the transparancy (if you have such software, that is) of all of the files that this particular mod plays with and have a "do-it-yourself" ClearDock.

Reaction score
Thanks for hack. While I won't be using your rainbow, it's very nice to know about editing those files. A handy trick!

OP
kirstydv
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know what the Terminal is and/or don't know how to adjust contrast and brightness, I would suggest you stay away from this mod as it's clearly way beyond your technical abilities.

I really like the black dock. It's got me thinking about messing around with mine. ;P

Edit: Just finished. Yep, it definitely looks cooler. Great mod :D

Now we ain't going to get very far, with such condescending attitudes like this, are we mister. How about you clamber off your high horse, and try to explain it to those people; I'm sure that once, you were a "dummy" and asked stupid sounding Q's, and had to be taught. Why not clamber down off your high horse, and help those members, CLEARLY beneath you. :|

Reaction score
kirstydv: How'd you make that file with the clickable folder icons that open the finder? That's a fine trick!

OP
kirstydv
Reaction score
kirstydv: How'd you make that file with the clickable folder icons that open the finder? That's a fine trick!

Google for "RTFD" files and how to make them. RTFD is an RTF format document into which aliases/items/apps can be embedded. I prefer to embed aliases, as full apps tend to have VERY full filesizes, at times. Terminal is over 20Mb when embedded, and NOONE wants to download that.

PS: it's a snap to make them, especially now Leopard is here!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.