will apple take my mac back or upgrade for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 intel dual, 120 gb with maxtor wack A$% ext hd, 1 gb ram
I bought my mac sept 18. all good but I feel they should upgrade my macbook to leo for free? is there a way I could get this done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
I think they usually do this if you buy within two weeks of a release. The Leopard launch being in October was heavily publicized, so I doubt they'll upgrade you for free.

Never hurts to call and ask, though...

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

Good luck,

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Why should they upgrade it for you for free? If you want Leopard you need to pay $130.

OP
freshcoastdjs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
why should they?

bc I would hv waited. I am new to macs and def would hv waited for lep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You bought a Macbook 6 weeks before the release of Leopard and you think you should either get a free upgrade or that Apple should take your Macbook back?

Apple went out of its way to provide a free copy for those who bought Macs in the month of October, when historically, the company only had a 14 day policy. Yet you have the impression that you are somehow eligible for a free upgrade or can bypass the 14 day return policy.

How about you drop the entitled attitude and just go out and buy a copy like a normal, responsible person. It's only your fault that you didn't do the research before buying a Mac. People have known that Leopard was going to be released in October since last JUNE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
You bought a Macbook 6 weeks before the release of Leopard and you think you should either get a free upgrade or that Apple should take your Macbook back?

Apple went out of its way to provide a free copy for those who bought Macs in the month of October, when historically, the company only had a 14 day policy. Yet you have the impression that you are somehow eligible for a free upgrade or can bypass the 14 day return policy.

How about you drop the entitled attitude and just go out and buy a copy like a normal, responsible person. It's only your fault that you didn't do the research before buying a Mac. People have known that Leopard was going to be released in October since last JUNE.

Agreed, And at somepoint Apple has to draw a cut off line. If Apple provided a copy for everybody who bought a mac 6 weeks ago, People who bought theirs 7 weeks ago would complain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

I think if you'd done any research whatsoever on Macs in general, you'd have known Leopard was coming. Surely no one spends $1000+ on a machine without researching the subject.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Y

Big X2 on that one. I decided I wanted a Mac back in June....and did alot of research, finding out that new iMacs would be coming (strong rumors) in August, so I waited...patiently....and got a new aluminum iMac on 8/7. I also knew full well that I would be paying $129 for Leopard in October.

Man up and take responsibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white 2.16GHz, 2G RAM, 120G HD
I am in the same boat as well, just bought my Macbook on the 30th Sept (can you believe it!!). I knew it at the time I would miss the launch of Leopard, but wasn't aware of the free upgrade at the time. But I think I would still do the same of not to upgrade to Leopard, the reason being:

1) Like Vista, the system is not yet tested.
2) Being a new Mac user, I think the latest version of Tiger is more than enough
3) Can you honestly telling me that Tiger is too 'old' for you? :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
This is like people saying they want an 08 Chevy when they bought an 07 right before the 08 came out. You bought it before Leopard came out knowing that Tiger would be on it. If you had wanted Leopard on it you should have waited.

On another note, I did buy my macbook in October knowing that I would get the upgrade for 10 dollars because thats how I got tiger on my old mini when I bought it with panther on it. I was supposed to get the leopard disk today but did not. Apple website says delivery by the 28th, today is the 29th. I am not upset and demanding anything though, because I understand how the mail works, and it will probably be here tomorrow or the next day.

Don't expect things for free if you don't research first.

OP
freshcoastdjs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tomato patches talk to me

wow. no support at all. i bought mac quickly b/c it's so stable with a dj program that works with turntables, Serato. and i called them, and they are going to send me a 10 upgrade. CAN YOU SMELL MY TRASH CAN for awhile, when someone asks for help, offer it or SMILE. i didn't post to get criticized. i posted asking for help and your opinion. you talking about man'ing up? that's ridiculous. i even had a store rep tell me he'd hook me up if showed my receipt. but that's cool. God bless you all. pls close post.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
wow. no support at all. i bought mac quickly b/c it's so stable with a dj program that works with turntables, Serato. and i called them, and they are going to send me a 10 upgrade. take your head out of s. jobs butt for awhile, when someone asks for help, offer it or shut up. i didn't post to get criticized. i posted asking for help and your opinion. you talking about man'ing up? that's ridiculous. i even had a store rep tell me he'd hook me up if showed my receipt. but that's cool. God bless you all. pls close post.

Some did help, they told you the truth. That is Apples official stance. October 1st and on. Sorry you are unhappy but that is the truth. If someone at an Apple store give it to you anyway, that is cool for you but it's not what Apple has stated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
wow. no support at all.

Nope. We take responsibility for our actions rather than expect someone else to bite the bullet for our mistakes or failures.

BUT, glad you talked to a store rep and got hooked up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
wow. no support at all. i bought mac quickly b/c it's so stable with a dj program that works with turntables, Serato. and i called them, and they are going to send me a 10 upgrade. take your head out of s. jobs butt for awhile, when someone asks for help, offer it or shut up. i didn't post to get criticized. i posted asking for help and your opinion. you talking about man'ing up? that's ridiculous. i even had a store rep tell me he'd hook me up if showed my receipt. but that's cool. God bless you all. pls close post.

Consider yourself lucky, and appreciate that Apple wants to please its customers. Next time do some research, especially when it comes to posting on this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL...nice edit of post #13 MacHeadCase....Tomato patches talk to me...LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Consider this a lesson learned. Dell wouldn't give you Windows Vista for free if you bought a machine 6-8 weeks before Vista's launch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I only have two comments:
1 - they didn't show you where the spell check button was?

2 - I bought mine on 9/24. I knew they were going to roll out Leopard in October, and I took a chance that they'd do a free update or other iPhone-like discount for recent purchasers. Of course, if they'd rolled out Leopard on 10/15, I'd have most likely got a free or $10 update. As it is, I bought the DVD for $130. Now, am I going to print out your post and take it to the Apple store and whine like a little girl? Nope.

Like the saying goes: You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.