problem connecting to my BT home hub via airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
You guys may have seen my previous thread, this is not a duplicate thread. I am now back at home, a missed flight and $800 later. So i cant seem to be able to connect to my broadband at home. I can connect via ethernet as i am currently doing but i dont want to have to sit in my kitchen when i want to surf the net. Basically everytime i try to connect is says there has been an error. I dont understand because i successfully connected my Wii and my PSP to this router already, so i just dont see the problem. I have WEP security on my router and its a ADSL connection thingy.

Reaction score
try putting a $ sign in front of your WEP password when it asks you to enter it.

that worked for me when i had the same problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I'm with Virgin Media (a.k.a Cox) And I saw a advert for BT broadband and it said not Mac compatible.

Are you sure that is compatible with AirPort?

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
that must be the problem, no i wasn't sure i only just purchased my mac last week and ive had bt broadband for a year now, just 6 more months of their crappy contract and then we get sky well that is annoying but at least i know now, my dad has virgin media and it works no problem at his house, thanks
(Mods question answered fell free to close thread)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: CD 2.0GHz, 2GB, 250GB, SuperDrive, 20" MacBook: CD 2.0GHz, 1GB, 60GB, SuperDrive, White
It *IS* Mac compatible

Wi-Fi is a standard - all routers *should* work - BT doesn't support Macs though.

Anyhoo - I have a BT Home Hub, an iMac and a MacBook and all work flawlessly together. When you are prompted for the key there should be a drop-down menu with WEP pre-selected. Change this to WEP (HEX) or something like that.

Also, the Hub has a couple of keys on the back. One says 'Fusion' and the other says 'Home Hub Wireless'. Ensure it is the latter.

BTW... What version of OS X are you using? Mine has worked with 10.4.6 to 10.4.10 and with Leopard.

EDIT: When I say BT doesn't support Macs, I meant technical support on the telephone. I just don't tell them and when they say 'open internet explorer' I just say ok and open Safari.

Reaction score
putting the "$" in front of the password apparently tells it that it is hex (or something like that?) can't remember exactly what the bloke from apple said, all i know is that after I put the $ in the password everything worked great

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.