The Dock - Leopard vs Tiger

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sure, I know that, but not clear on how this changes things. No single application should be representative of my application folder, I, and I suspect many others users, would rather have a generic symbol.

As for the download folder, many downloads are going to be disc images, as almost all Mac app and patch downloads are.

I realize the pics are 'worst case' scenario, but really honestly, does anyone think this visual representation represents a 2 year leap over Tiger? For me, it's ugly and confusing and I have to say, I DO like Leopard overall.

Agree with ya wholeheartedly. This was the very first thing I noticed on the system and even have a thread I started about on Sat. before I understood what was happening. I had to figure out how to change this before I even got my first app re-installed.

And the bigger issue for me is the elimination of being able to access a folder within a folder as a menu. The need to now have to go to finder or have even more folders sitting in the dock is a pain.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Agree with ya wholeheartedly. This was the very first thing I noticed on the system and even have a thread I started about on Sat. before I understood what was happening. I had to figure out how to change this before I even got my first app re-installed.

Which app do you default in the app folder? I need some inspiration! I like the new Front Row image! ;D The Armchair...

Reaction score
I thought the website that discusses folder icons and was linked to in the Ars Technica review is pretty dang interesting, and I agree with all of it. http://www.indiehig.com/blog/2007/09/09/fix-the-leopard-folders/

Oh, and if you don't like the 3D dock you can disable it from the Terminal:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock
Change to NO if you want the 3D back again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
And the bigger issue for me is the elimination of being able to access a folder within a folder as a menu. The need to now have to go to finder or have even more folders sitting in the dock is a pain.

I second that! :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For the folders I'm keeping on the dock, right now am using icons found here.

Currently using the study_osx icons, last ones I was using in Tiger were the Pirate ones. Most of 'em they have are pretty cheesy. But there are a few that are OK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.