Mac Requirements

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an iPod Classic. The Apple Store page states that the requirements are "Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later" but I use v10.3.9. Does this mean I cannot use the iPod without spending more money on updating my version?
Secondly, another requirement is internet connection. Can you use the iPod without an internet connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
I'm not quiet sure about OS X version compatibility, but I guess it depends on the iTunes version that you use, is the latest itunes compatible with OS x 10.3.9 ? apple says yes :
Macintosh Requirements

* Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later or Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later required for iTunes
* Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later required for iPhone
* 500MHz G3 processor or better
* QuickTime 6.5.2 or later
* 256MB RAM
* Combo/SuperDrive to burn CDs
* Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music
Regarding the internet connection, u need that to update the firmware (two updates are already out for iPod nano 3rd Gen) and of course itunes store.
As I'm not completely sure about the 1st point I'd say wait for others answers just to make sure.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, I have the latest version of iTunes and it works fine on my 10.3.9.
Could you please explain what "update the firmware" means, I don't actually know what firmware is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Firmware

Firmware is a piece of software which tells a piece of hardware how to function.

For example, an iPod has firmware to tell it how to boot up the hard drive or access the memory in it, how to display stuff on the screen, how to play music out to the headphones, that sort of thing.

It's a little like getting a software update on a computer. Like when you download the latest version of iTunes.

Updating the firmware on an iPod isn't a necessity, but it can often help as firmware updates often resolve issues some people experience when they use their ipods.

Hope this helps in some way,

Mel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.