Few newbie Q's (Rename Home/Remove Search from Sidebar)

Reaction score
Hey chaps, I'm a relatively new Mac user and mainly a Windows user, I upgraded from 10.4.10 to 10.5 at the weekend and have found a few small 'narks' with Leopard that hopefully I can fix.

My first two issues are with the Finder.

1) How can I rename the Home Folder which is sat in the left sidebar in Finder? Presently its my first and last name, which makes the folder name really long.

I tried altering my username, which hasn't helped :(

2) Is there a way to remove the Search For... heading also in the Finder. I've unticked all the 'search for' variables in the View preferences, but the heading remains. Kind of annoying.

As you can tell I'm one for tidyness and organisation, so these two narks are annoying me slightly.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
DON'T CHANGE THE HOME FOLDER NAME!

This is a Bad Thing. I did this once and lost all my stuff. If you want to change the name I think you have to create a new account.

To remove the search box, just right-click on the toolbar and customise it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Well I have nothing in my folder's anyway, it's a fresh install...

As for the search, it's not the box in the top right, but the annoying 'search for' in the sidebar.

finderib2.gif

Cheers for the reply.

Reaction score
ChangeShortName - 1.3

If you've got nothing to lose there's always the above link .... read the feedback before considering hitting the download button

As for that 'Search For' in the Finder Sidebar ... try pressing Command and clicking on it and drag it from the Sidebar ... as you would remove something from the Dock.

OP
V
Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;515688 said:
ChangeShortName - 1.3

If you've got nothing to lose there's always the above link .... read the feedback before considering hitting the download button

Perfect, sounds like just what I need.

edit - didnt work :(

error'd with "cannot find username 'myusername' in netinfo db"

Spawn__Dooley;515688 said:
As for that 'Search For' in the Finder Sidebar ... try pressing Command and clicking on it and drag it from the Sidebar ... as you would remove something from the Dock.

No go :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.