iMac vs Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
I used to use Mac's all the time (from 1986 with the Mac Plus) and went to the dark side when OSX first came out. I have now switched back and use a Mac Book Pro for home. I love Mac's again and want to switch the work to Mac.
The question is:- Is the iMac fast enough or do I need the Mac Pro. I used Office (but migrating to iWork & iLife) Adobe CS3 (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat + PitStop), QuarkEXpress 7.3, FileMaker Adv 9, Aperture, Firefox etc... I spend most of the day using the computer and love speed.
Advise would be good. The iMac looks good spec and is cheap (compared to a equiverlent hi end PC) but does not have the expanderbility. I have dual big monitors and have heard that iMac only clones not a proper dual monotir.
Thanks
Julian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
From what you say you are going to use your Mac for, the iMac should be more than enough. Get the 2.4Ghz one (or 2.8Ghz if you love speed) with default RAM and then pump it up to 4GB with RAM bought from elsewhere like newegg.

The iMac can extend the desktop upto a 24", that is 1920*1200 with it's single link DVI port. So unless you are looking into a 30", the iMac should be fine for dual monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The iMac will handle all those programs with ease. Make sure you get 2Gb of RAM though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
iMac is a great machine. I know on my iMac it only mirrors the screen.

@ Goobimama: They max at 24" which means a 4" monitor?

If what you do is alot of video editing and full dual monitors I would suggest the Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.