• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple not accepting cash for iPhone, Why??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/29/apple-not-just-refusing-cash-also-refusing-apple-gift-cards-for/

I just don't understand this. What are they hoping to accomplish? It won't keep people from hacking. Maybe if you don't sign up for AT&T service they break down your door and take it back, charging you the 15% restocking fee, of course.

Apple is supposed to be the nicer, more people-friendly company. Maybe I won't be buying any stock after all.

EDIT: ok, I see Apple is trying to curb multiple purchases because of sales to unlockers. But really, how hard is it to buy more than 2 if you really wanted: have friends buy them, have family buy them, use a Visa/AmEx gift card. Heck, with my credit card company, I can make completely new temporary credit card numbers with time and dollar limits for internet security purchases that would probably circumvent their protocols.

This is just like DRM, trying in vein to control something they know they can't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't understand why companies do stupid things like this. Do they really think that they're actually curbing the behavior this policy intends to target? Sure, it might stop a few, but the really determined ones (and these are the guys this policy is aimed at) will find a way around it as they always do.

This policy isn't going to stop its intended targets, it's only going to inconvenience the average folk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I think it's a really CRAPPY ordeal, I usually only pay with cash. I would like to eventually get an iPhone. Having no plastic will suck allot. I don't like using plastic, self control especially in the apple store is hard to oppress. I guess it's still better than forcing you into a contract just to get the phone. I just hate to see what's next.

I know everyone blames apple for closing the iphone and locking it down, but I've been wondering lately if it's been because of at&t, if they are playing a roll in the way apple is dealing with the iphone, since they have a contract. I think apple is trying to abide by at&t in order to stay away from a healthy lawsuit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I heard about this in the news this morning. I'm amused, and I don't know if they can legally do this.

American money still has the following phrase on it:
THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE

I'd like to see Apple refuse my money. That being said, I don't plan on owning an iPhone any time soon.

M

MacHeadCase

I read that Apple wants to prevent people from buying a whole bunch of them and reselling them on eBay (or whatever) at extortion prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
American money still has the following phrase on it:
THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE

The thing is it's not a debt; Apple, as the seller has the right to place certain terms of purchase on a transaction, and no transaction takes place until both parties agree to those terms (some people will say [in the UK] that if a product is incorrectly priced, they legally have to sell it for that price [only if it's lower than the correct price, mind], but they're completely wrong; no contract is made until after both parties agree to the price).

If however you somehow owed money to Apple for whatever reason, and they said "no cash" then you wouldn't have to pay them until they take you to court for non-payment of the debt... where the judge would slap them for being silly and allow you to pay in cash.

Anyway, back on topic, I think AT&T is putting pressure on Apple to stop unlockers, but a) I'm sure it's in Apple's best interest aswell b) I've no idea why they think these measures will help.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not accepting cash for payment is legal. It's come up many times before. Besides, try to pay cash for something for any online purchase.

What would really suck is if someone has gift cards they were planning to use to buy an iPhone. Say some kid really wants one and various family members go out and buy him gift cards to use. What would he do? What if he doesn't want anything else? Hopefully Apple would at least take the gift cards on return and refund cash so he could buy something from a less ridiculous company.

Reaction score
Not accepting cash for payment is legal.
Yup. Snopes addresses the issue here.
. . . There is, however, no Federal law mandating that a person or organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. . . .
It's the same in Canada, where, I read, the mint refuses cash from coin collectors.

Reaction score
be prepare to give your daughter(s) and wife to Apple + $400 in credit/debit cards + your fingerprints and DNA for an iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Honesty, I don't think this is far reaching at all. Not many people make such a big purchase in cash. Even teenagers have debit cards now (not credit cards...that would be a horrible idea). I never carry cash with me, unless I specifically know I am going to use it.

Plus, you could write write a check. If you can not write a check or you don't have a credit/debit card, you probably shouldn't be buying a $400 phone, in addition to the phone plan.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
It's almost 2008. Cash isn't going to be around forever. Start getting used to it.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I can't remember the last time I needed to use cash. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I touched any cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Why would anyone walk around with $400 in cash? Unless you're licensed to carry a firearm, you're just asking for trouble.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why would anyone walk around with $400 in cash? Unless you're licensed to carry a firearm, you're just asking for trouble.

That to me is a very good point. In most of the cities I walk around in, I would not feel very safe with that much $$$ on my person. Not at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Honesty, I don't think this is far reaching at all. Not many people make such a big purchase in cash. Even teenagers have debit cards now (not credit cards...that would be a horrible idea). I never carry cash with me, unless I specifically know I am going to use it.

Plus, you could write write a check. If you can not write a check or you don't have a credit/debit card, you probably shouldn't be buying a $400 phone, in addition to the phone plan.

I've had a debit card since I was 11... I don't know how the US system works mind. Not that it matters; you need to be 18 to sign up on the AT&T plan (I'm guessing that's the same in the US as it is here).

I can't remember the last time I needed to use cash. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I touched any cash.

So you're the one holding up the line :Angry:

:D

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can come up with a bunch of reasons why cash is less necessary or why people shouldn't make big purchases with it, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple is saying, "you have to buy it the way we want you to buy it."

Really? I use cash all the time. Vending machines are a big one. Some parking garages I use only take cash. Toll booths, news stands, sporting events, tipping a valet parker, probably a hundred other little things cash is needed for.

You must not get out much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Really? I use cash all the time. Vending machines are a big one. Some parking garages I use only take cash. Toll booths, news stands, sporting events, tipping a valet parker, probably a hundred other little things cash is needed for.

All of those <$400. There really is a difference.

Apple wants to make sure people are not reselling their product en masse. This is a legitimate concern, as it messes up their business plan. They are seeking more profit at the expense of very, very few people.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP

I take that back, the last time I used cash was in NYC because most of the street vendors don't take cards.

I don't really use vending machines, and most of the major stores around here are starting to get ones that accept credit cards (I can recall seeing the in Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, the malls) The 2 parking garages I frequent take debit, I can't recall the last time I went through a toll, my newstand is on the screen in front of me, sporting events take card, valet parking is usually controlled by the corporation that makes you use it (hotels and restaurants, every time i can remember, it was added on to my tab).

I get out plenty, the US as a whole is moving away from cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

If the vending machines around here started taking debit/credit cards I would have no reason to carry cash most of the time. There are no toll booth or news stands around here, I pick up tickets to sporting events and concerts at the will call window or print them off the internet, and I would not trust the valet to park my car (not to mention I'm not that lazy). The only time I really carry cash is when i go on a trip somewhere, I will keep a few hundred dollars on me for "just in case money". Don't even get me started on people that write checks, it seems like every time I go to the grocery store I get behind some little old woman who wants to write a freaking check..ugh! Checks should be outlawed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.