Internet questions on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Hey guys, My router is getting pretty old now, so I am probably gonna get a new router soon. (Maybe after I buy my MBP)

But anyway, I am stuck between an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station, and a D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router (thats a long name ;D)

My question is, which do you recommend that I get, I heard that they are both great routers, but I have heard that many people are having problems using the Airport Extreme Base station.. But i guess they do have the ability to use a printer via USB. BTW i noticed that the d-link router also has a USB port.. can i use that for printing?

I also have a question about "802.11n" technology. My MBP will have built in wireless so im not worried about that. BUT i have read that if your other computerss are using "802.11g" technology it will slow my MBP down?? I'm quite confused about this.

I currently have 2 desktops (no wireless, all connected via ethernet) will these slow down my MBP performance? or does it only count for wireless things. If someone could clear this up it would be great.

I'm also hoping with the '802.11n' technology and a brand new router I will have a noticeable increase in my internet connection. On my PC I use flashget (download acclerator) to download things from the net. On a Mac, what is the best download speed that i can possibly get? What browser and/or download acclerator should i use to get the best possible download speed?

It would be great if you could answer these questions for me, cos I like to do some research before buying something completely useless then having to return it :)

Thanks in advance :D

OP
ChaePod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
bump. anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.