Printers gone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Did everyone have to reinstall printers after upgrading the OS?

Reaction score
I didn't have to reinstall the printer, just had to get the updated Driver from Brother and they already had the Leopard one on Friday.

Did everyone have to reinstall printers after upgrading the OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I had to add my printer again, and select the new driver, but nothing major... about a minutes work in total.

If that's your only problem after upgrading your entire system, then I think Apple are doing OK :p

Reaction score
I did a clean install but mine was automatically recognized as a printer. I have a Photosmart C6100.

I have a problem you guys could help with though, my printer was also a scanner and the auto recognized drivers will not make it a scanner, only a printer. The CD the drivers came on is not compatible with Leopard so I can't install any drivers from HP themselves. Does anyone have a solution to this (very annoying) problem?

Reaction score
I did a clean install but mine was automatically recognized as a printer. I have a Photosmart C6100.

I have a problem you guys could help with though, my printer was also a scanner and the auto recognized drivers will not make it a scanner, only a printer. The CD the drivers came on is not compatible with Leopard so I can't install any drivers from HP themselves. Does anyone have a solution to this (very annoying) problem?

Same issue here. I downloaded the drivers from HP and it scanned. But it was very bad... basically useless. I would just wait for the new hp software to be updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Did you manually select the correct driver in system preferences? There might be more than one that applies to your printer; try a different one (even if it's for a different model in the same range), and it might make things a bit better until the new drivers come out.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I have not looked at fixing my issue yet, will be trying tonight. Did look at the Mac site and it claimed the drivers for all of my printers were included, odd it did not do the simply replacement.

While I realize its not a major issue, just a pain I was not expecting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Unfortunately the printer driver for my NEW Lexmark X5470 will not work with Leopard. I'm hopeful they will update the drivers soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately the printer driver for my NEW Lexmark X5470 will not work with Leopard. I'm hopeful they will update the drivers soon.

Open System Preferences:

Picture1-2.png

Click Print & Fax:

Picture2-1.png

(If there's a printer already added, remove it)

Click on the + sign on the bottom left:

Picture3.png

Select the printer (and optionally give it a shorter name), click the "Print Using" section and select "Select a Driver to Use":

Picture4.png

Almost at the very top you'll see two "5400 series". I've chosen the first one, but I don't know if they're any different. Click add, and you should be shown a nice little icon of your printer:

Picture5.png

Then I suggest you re-install the software from the CD that came with it to access all the features.

If that is what you've done, and you feel like I'm patronizing you, then I apologize, but those are the steps as I did them and I've not run into any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Thanks Levi, I did do those steps, installed the driver and all went well. When I tried to actually print using the Lexmark, (Word, or an email) I was kicked out of the program with an error message. I also did a Google search on for my model printer and read a blog where Leopard will not use the current driver. - Sorry, I can't find the site again, but I did print out that blog and I have it in my office (I'm home right now). Have you actually printed anything the way you showed the install on this model printer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.