time machine not consolidating

Reaction score
I'm one of the notebook people that has to take my external hard drive on and off. Ive noticed that time machine has left multiple backup files per day. I thought that it was supposed to group the whole days worth into one at the end of the day, but what if I don't have my hard drive plugged in at whatever time it is set to do this? Does anyone know of a way to manually make it group backup files together?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
"Every hour, every day, an incremental backup of your Mac is made automatically as long as your backup drive is attached to your Mac. Time Machine saves the hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything older than a month. Only files created and then deleted before the next hourly backup will not be included in the long term. Put another way: You’re well covered."
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.