Keyboard partially not responding

Reaction score
Hey

I have a old intel imac and suddenly the main alphabet keys on my keyboard are not responding, I can bring up spotlight and use tab caplock and other kes around the keyboard but all the querty keys and not functioning.,

When i go to the mouse and keyboard option in system preferences it just crashes the app.

Is there a way to re install my keyboard drivers, i have tried pluging it in to a different usb port and have re started the mac many times.

Please help me

B

OP
B
Reaction score
Keyboard not responding in OS only

Been testing things out and it seems not to be working only in the main desktop and safari,

I opened word and can use the keyboard just fine.

Whats going on???

This is weird

OP
B
Reaction score
Pages does not work as well, looks like all apple apps, but for some reason I can type my password in when tiger the password box comes up when you want to change settings.

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm

When did this start happening exactly? Did you update anything prior? Or did you change settings in your system? Did you add any new peripheral?

Can you create a new user account, log in it and see if the problem happens in there as well? Try that and let us know how it goes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Look like the new account is working ok,

So its something with my user account. Got any recommendations?

I have not installed anything in ages and I just stared happening last night, I did plug my wife’s ipod in to my computer, but I have don’t that a million times.

M

MacHeadCase

Well try cleaning your user cache and the system cache (deep clean) with MainMenu.

Restart, holding down the Shift key for a Safe Boot. Restart again normally.

See where that takes you. Good luck! :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry to seem stupid but is there an open in the finder menu to do this or do I require additional software

M

MacHeadCase

Just google MainMenu (proper spelling), and click on a link that takes you to Santa Software for the download. It's a freebie and I use it whenever the system displays quirkiness.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks man, that app seem to do the trick,

Does MainMenu hog resources?, might just run it all the time now i have it installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.