How do i wipe system?

Reaction score
I just bought an older g3 imac from a school auction for $5. It has the os x operating system (not sure which version). How do I wipe the entire system and start from scratch? I don't have any software for this machine. Is this very difficult? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Leopard deosn't run on G3. Not without a hack anyway, unsupported by apple. Only panther and maybe Tiger if it has a firewire port and enough ram.

ivnj

OP
R
Reaction score
tiger is fine with me, this is just a spare computer so i don't need anything special. i really just want it to surf. do i need to get a tiger disc or is there a way to restore it without new software??

M

MacHeadCase

I would suggest Panther for now. Your iMac won't support full functionality of Tiger (namely Core Image) and this is only to get the feel of a Mac, I think? And Panther will allow you to surf just fine for a while.

Look at eBay for a Panther full, retail install CD kit. Don't take a kit that came with another Mac model it won't work because these are hardware specific.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.