So Apple are playing games. Video out locked on IPT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I just discovered this.

You can't play video out from an Ipod touch unless you buy a $50 cable from Apple. There's no advantage to it - I use a standard one I had laying around for my 80gb Ipod vid. Works fine.

But no, Apple don't like that. For $50 I get the same functionality, but THEY get the $50.

Isn't there another company we see mentioned here a lot that does the same kind of thing? Thanks Steve. I like your stuff but I'm not getting sucked into that kind of game. Back to Windows for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I just discovered this.

You can't play video out from an Ipod touch unless you buy a $50 cable from Apple. There's no advantage to it - I use a standard one I had laying around for my 80gb Ipod vid. Works fine.

But no, Apple don't like that. For $50 I get the same functionality, but THEY get the $50.

I seem to remember that Apple had to change the video out connector for the new iPods - either that or keep the weird video out of the headphone jack. Whatever it was, they would affect a group of users whichever way they did it.

Isn't there another company we see mentioned here a lot that does the same kind of thing? Thanks Steve. I like your stuff but I'm not getting sucked into that kind of game. Back to Windows for me.

If you think an issue with your iPod is worth switching back to Windows for then maybe you're better off there.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seem to remember that Apple had to change the video out connector for the new iPods - either that or keep the weird video out of the headphone jack. Whatever it was, they would affect a group of users whichever way they did it.

If you think an issue with your iPod is worth switching back to Windows for then maybe you're better off there.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the wierd video out of the headphone jack in the first place. Keeping that wouldn't have affected anybody.

The problem for me is that they have added the chip specifically to prevent anybody from using any cable other than their own. Which costs $50. For a cable.

I'm definitely in a minority here - reaction so far has been pretty much 'What's $50? Stop whining'.

Funny stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I'm not sure what was wrong with the wierd video out of the headphone jack in the first place. Keeping that wouldn't have affected anybody.

The problem for me is that they have added the chip specifically to prevent anybody from using any cable other than their own. Which costs $50. For a cable.

I'm definitely in a minority here - reaction so far has been pretty much 'What's $50? Stop whining'.

Funny stuff.
This is a phone and they wanted the headphone jack to have mic input also. Video would have been too much.

And it's $50 for a cable AND power adapter. My reaction is that I don't care because I don't use video out. If I did, I would be upset.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a phone and they wanted the headphone jack to have mic input also. Video would have been too much.

And it's $50 for a cable AND power adapter. My reaction is that I don't care because I don't use video out. If I did, I would be upset.

That makes a bit more sense. I have to say, when I first posted the thread I didn't realise that the vid out was now from the dock port, instead of the headphone port.

It still leaves the doubt about putting a proprietary chip in to snuffle out competition though. That seems to serve no purpose other than to allow jacking up of price.

[edit] Just a small point - they have done the same on the Touch and the Ipod classic, which aren't phones. that's not to say your point isn't good though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes, it would. If they'd have kept it then the other method would be disabled, and vice versa. You are unlucky enough to be among those who are affected.

No, they've added the chip to make it work - the old cable wouldn't work.

Funny stuff.

Technology, eh? I have a room full of perfectly serviceable computer parts that are completely useless.

Reaction score
I went into **** Smith to ask about a cable to connect an 80gb iPod Vid to a tv and the guy said I needed an Apple Cable worth about $70 ... he didn't have any.

Then I went into the AppleStore around the corner and they asked me which iPod I had ... then he told me they didn't have a cable in stock but I could go to **** Smith and just buy a generic cable for a lot less $$$

I'm confused to say the least ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I agree that the technology needed to be changed, even though it's a bummer since I can no longer use my generic cable. The part that I don't get at all is why Apple is forcing to buy a $50 product. They could probably charge half that and still make a profit, not to mention they make us buy it with the dock and remote. Can't I just buy a cable alone to do it for like $10? Even that would be overpriced...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
What has Windows got to do with a iPod?

$50??? Oh no!!! Run to the mountains! If you want it, pay up.

Oh and if you take that attitude about Apple, then we'll be better of without you.

I could get a Zune and, I would still be locked into Microsoft's proprietary music format, and software, and accessories!!! And your moaning about a cable? At least Apple have DRM free music. iTunes leaves Windows Media in the dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

It won't be long until 3rd party cables work with the Touch and 6G iPods. Windows won't help, if you're still iPod bound. Maybe you should get a Zune and see how well that works with WMP11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you quite sure about that?

Not 100% as I read in on the Internet ;), but it's what was said - the old cable won't work. Do a search on the AppleInsider forums, that's where I read it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Are you quite sure about that?
If you think about it, the video out is no longer coming from a phone jack and needs to be able to carry either a composite or COMPONENT signal now. The old cables can't do it, unless you had a dock.

I do think it's lame they force us to buy a power brick with the cable when they could've offered just the cable for half the price or less.

Reaction score
Give it a bit of time and 3rd party vendors will work around it. Motorola did the same crap for the longest time and eventually found out the hard way where it gets them, upset owners and loss of sales.

It is sad to see apple venturing down the same path instead of learning from others mistakes. I am disillusioned with apple and I think that is what the OP was trying to say. I have been using mac for about a year from windows and part of the appeal was a company that has pride in their products and is more pro consumer. I suppose it was my naivety and my own desire to think apple was really any different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
It is sad to see apple venturing down the same path instead of learning from others mistakes. I am disillusioned with apple and I think that is what the OP was trying to say. I have been using mac for about a year from windows and part of the appeal was a company that has pride in their products and is more pro consumer. I suppose it was my naivety and my own desire to think apple was really any different.
It is funny to see so many people's ignorance about Apple. They DO have pride in their products, perhaps too much. But pro consumer? Today's capitalism eliminates companies that try to be pro consumer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once again, Apple HAD to modify the design of the video cable - please do some research before branding Apple the spawn of satan.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once again, Apple HAD to modify the design of the video cable - please do some research before branding Apple the spawn of satan.

Old thread, but the point is missed.

I understand the signal isn't coming out of the same place, I understand I would need a new cable, as it needs a different plug - but unless I'm mistaken the ipod is designed so that it will only output the signal via a cable that has Apples proprietary gadgetry in it.

That is to say a cable *could* be made that carries the signal without this gadgetry, but Apple have engineered the Ipod it so that it can't.

Seems the only reason is to lock us into their own cables. Given a captive market, they can charge 5 x what a normal cable should cost.

I'm sure someone will reverse engineer it and come out with a $20 alternative, but what a waste of time and money . . . ultimately it's still the same signal coming out of the TV end of the cable.

I don't think Apple are Satans spawn - I have a ton of their stuff and I like it very much, and happily cough up for it because I think it's worth the money. That's why I'm a bit puzzled at what seems to be a rather inelegant piece of gouging.

Reaction score
What has Windows got to do with a iPod?

$50??? Oh no!!! Run to the mountains! If you want it, pay up.

Oh and if you take that attitude about Apple, then we'll be better of without you.

I could get a Zune and, I would still be locked into Microsoft's proprietary music format, and software, and accessories!!! And your moaning about a cable? At least Apple have DRM free music. iTunes leaves Windows Media in the dust.

Theres nothing wrong with proprietary stuff. HOWEVER, $50 for a CABLE, regardless if it is meant for charging also, is pure BS. I dont care if it makes coffee and changes the channel. People who are like "oh $50 dollars for a cable isnt bad, Stop whining, its not that much, pay up" are complete morons. Apples decision here to only accept their "way overpriced" cord is just as rediculous as Monster cables pricing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
People who are like "oh $50 dollars for a cable isnt bad, Stop whining, its not that much, pay up" are complete morons. Apples decision here to only accept their "way overpriced" cord is just as rediculous as Monster cables pricing.

I fall into that category and I don't appreciate being labeled a "moron". I have a good job, make good money and have a reason to want the cable in question. $50 for me at this point in my life is not teribly expensive and I can easily afford it. It's all relative. Would I buy a cheaper cable if one existed? Sure. Until then I'll buy the Apple cable becasue I watch video off my iPod on a regular basis. Please try thinking a bit before you post an insult the next time.

Does anyone have any proof about this supposed chip that makes only Apples cable work, or are we merely arguing about hearsay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I'm confused. What is proprietary about composite signal that any TV can handle? All you need is an adapter that plugs into the bottom of the IPT. I'm sure they'll be all over ebay very soon.

When I wanted to hack my samsung phone, I could have bought the USB cable for a bagillion dollars from samsung. But people were selling them on ebay. So I got one. $12 shipped and arrived in 5 days.

I agree that $50 is wrong to charge for such an item. It's a few feet of copper and plastic for god's sake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.