buying an external drive for backup

Reaction score
First off let me say that I am new to mac and am loving it. I bought an Imac in august and the day after I bought the iphone. I love my mac and I want to try leopard out. I have never bought an external hard drive or backup drive before and I am wondering if you guys could help me out with a good one to get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I have a Western Digital Mybook, and it comes with back-up software that allows you to schedule back-ups of all kinds, i.e: Full or incremental etc.
It's excellent. Always go for Firewire if at all possible though, it's far more reliable than USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have a 1TB Western Digital MyBook, and love it. Works great. I'd also recommend a FW compatible one. For a slightly higher cost, its transfers files much faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think the most important thing is not so skimp on the price, you get what you pay for so get something good.

I've always used LaCie drives (not the Porsche ones...avoid those) and have been very happy. I'm considering a G Drive for my next external.

As the others have said, Firewire will give you better performance over USB2. Also, I'd recommend SuperDuper if you're looking for a great backup program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.