Stacks Application Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
Does anyone know how to get the Application folder in stacks to change to the generic app folder icon? At the moment it's just showing the Address Book as the icon piled on top of others.

From this:
dock-20071028-160654.jpg

To this:
dock-20071028-160725.jpg

Reaction score
You could create a new folder and put it in your App's folder. Then change the name so it's at the beginning of the list. Once thats done all you have to do is change that folders icon to the App's folder.

If you do this you'll need to remove the stack from your dock and add it back for the change to take affect

OP
Justin_P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
I tried that ^ but it's not really a neat way of doing it. There must be a way of changing the default icon some how..

Anyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unfortunately, you can't put folders in the dock without them turning into a stack. This is just the way it is until someone figures out how to change it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Dock icon of that special folder (or "stack" as it's called now) to look like the icon you want:

(1) Do a Get Info on the special icon folder in Finder. (2) Select the icon in the Get Info window and Copy it. (3) Open that special folder and create a New Folder inside. (4) Do a Get Info on that new folder, click on the icon, and Paste the special icon image so that it looks like the parent folder. (5) Change the new folder's name so the it is first alpha-numerically; I just used "00" (that's two zeros) as the name. (6) Go back up one level to see the parent folder in a Finder window, and drag it to the Dock.

the first item in the stack is now the folder with the desired icon, it will appear in the Dock. If fact, the other items will appear to be stacked behind it, which actually looks appropriate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
stacks

Sorry hit the post button twice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This is the only negative thing about Leopard for me so far. I loved having my applications and class file folders on the dock so I could right click them and they would be listed without opening Finder.

It's still similar, but not as good. For example, I have my classes folder and within that a folder for each class. Before I would mouse over a folder after right clicking to get another list of files in that folder. Now I still have to have Finder open.

I hope someone find a way to make it like it was before. I would prefer Stacks on the desktop and the Dock the way it was. Besides, "stacks" of files on your "desktop" just seems more logical.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.