Images save to "downloads" ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Usually in safari, when i would right click an image one of the options is 'save to desktop' which is exactly where i want it a lot of the time. Now the only option is 'save to downloads' which is a stack in the dock, and you have to filter through finder to get to it (I am usually uploading to photobucket or something from the desktop)

but when I download, say a picture from an IM or a movie from Apple.com, It goes to the desktop!?

wtheck!

bothersome.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Usually in safari, when i would right click an image one of the options is 'save to desktop' which is exactly where i want it a lot of the time. Now the only option is 'save to downloads' which is a stack in the dock, and you have to filter through finder to get to it (I am usually uploading to photobucket or something from the desktop)

but when I download, say a picture from an IM or a movie from Apple.com, It goes to the desktop!?

wtheck!

bothersome.

Have you looked in Safari Preferences to see if there is a Save Location that can be changed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
I don't get why you have to filter through finder to get to it... If you click on an image and save it to the downloads folder, all you should have to do is click on the "downloads" stack on the dock and you should see it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Go to Safari preferences and just change the default downloads folder.

Reaction score
Usually in safari, when i would right click an image one of the options is 'save to desktop' which is exactly where i want it a lot of the time.

I feel like I'm possibly missing something but what I love about Mac OS & Safari is that I don't need to right-click the image and select a save to location .... you can just drag it from the browser window straight onto the desktop ....

hey, I wonder if Safari on my PC can do that too ....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I feel like I'm possibly missing something but what I love about Mac OS & Safari is that I don't need to right-click the image and select a save to location .... you can just drag it from the browser window straight onto the desktop ....

It works on Windows but does not look at nice when you drag, at least on the PC's I have tried it on. I have used that method you use for years but don't always mention it as some have gotten all confused in the past! :D

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
I don't get why you have to filter through finder to get to it... If you click on an image and save it to the downloads folder, all you should have to do is click on the "downloads" stack on the dock and you should see it there.

because when I am using it to upload to photobucket and you click 'browse' you have to find it through finder, and it the path is longer than just clicking on desktop on the side bar.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Spawn__Dooley;514782 said:

wow...... I didnt know you could that. It works with every image? That is perfect. Thanks haha...

Going into the preferences and changing the save location works as well.

thank you for your help, its always much more simple than I think! silly apple.

Reaction score
LoL, I almost wasn't going to jump in as I thought for sure I'd mis-read your post and you really wanted something quite the opposite to my conception. I'm so glad I did though ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Even another option for uploading, in finder, you can drag and drop the Downloads folder onto the side bar and you're back to one click access again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.