External Hard Drive will not boot

Reaction score
Hello
I have a big problem: I recently bought a Transcend 150 gb external hard drive which refuses to work with my powerbook.
It continues to make a clicking sound, like it is attempting to get up to speed, but will not show up on my desktop.
It works fine with my windows machine.
I thought the problem was that it was not getting enough juice - so I connected both the USB cords (it comes supplied with a split cord - and works fine with just the one connected on my windows machine). This did not work.
I checked, and both my usb outlets are 2.0 - which should provide adequate power.
Any ideas?
Thanks very much for your help
Amitabh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Usually if a USB device is not getting enough power a warning message will come up in OS X telling you so. What format is it in?

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm sorry for not helping, but I would like to add that I have a problem much like this. I have a freecom classic 80 GB HD that I've used for years. one day it just wouldn't show up on my desktop. haven't tried it on any pc, but it doesn't work on my girlfriends mac either...

I too hear a clicking sound (like when it's about to speed up), but it dies out. then it starts up again. and the blue light that says it's alive, is on. weird..

any clue on what to do?

EDIT:
Also, the problem started when I installed parallels desktop. could that have anyting to do with this?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your message - there is some solace in realizing that one does not suffer alone...
I have written to my drive manufacturer - hopefully they will have an answer. I don't think that it is a simple question of reformatting the drive in FAT - as the drive just wont boot up.
Let's hope someone here has some advice that can help.
Stay tuned...
A

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Anytime you hear loud clicking on start up coming from a hard drive, it is not a good sign.

OP
A
Reaction score
Bob
Thanks for those comforting words.
And I would tend to agree with you -except the drive workds fine with my windows machine...
Not sure if this is a formatting error either - because it gave me this issue straight out of the box (before I loaded it up using my windows machine) and it has never recognized the drive.
Click, click.
Amitabh

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Amitabh
Sorry.
It's just whenever I've heard that sound, the drive was soon to go.
Am not nearly as familiar with using external drives nor notebooks, so maybe it is a matter of not enough power. Still a drag when you get a new drive and it doesn't work.
If part of your primary purpose is to use this drive with the PowerBook and it doesn't connect, only other thing I can recommend is returning the drive. Or does that particular drive also have an available power adapter for it?

Did a litlle research this morning and found a couple of reports (not on this particular drive) in particular, where it was mentioned that externals people have required the power adapter with their powerbook, but worked just fine with only the USB connection on their powermac and imac machines.

Another option might be to give OWC a call and ask them about which drives would work with the powerbook without an external power source.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.