Migration Assistant

Reaction score
I just completed a successful Erase and Install for a friend running 10.2. (I had to download an older version of Carbon Copy Cloner, but it worked.) I wasnt able to set the External to a Startup Drive but everything is on there.

My friend has several applications that I need to bring back into her system. She does not have the CDs (Office 2004, Toast etc, many moves and 3 kids later:Oops:) She does have legitimate licenses.

How would I bring over these applications? I was afraid to use Migration Assistant as it seems to bring over everything, and I don't want to bring all her old files over, I want her to be able to cherry pick what she will keep in her new Leopard Install.

Thanks for your help, I am doing this tonight so any help is appreciated.

M

MacHeadCase

I seem to recall that Migration Assistant lets you select which type of data you want to transfer from the old Mac to the new one and I think one of the options was applications.

The problem with the way you plan on doing this is that dragging over the apps from the backup will not let you drag all the invisible files you need to make these apps work correctly.

I see three options for your friend here if she can't find the installer disks:
- you use Migration Assistant to transfer over the apps she needs (but be prepared to do plenty of cleaning up afterwards - all the apps you transfer over won't necessarily be compatible or work and trying them out might bring crashes or worse, kernel panics: but cleaning up she will definitely need to do! Going from Jaguar to Leopard is a very big step!)

- you download the apps in demo form (if you can still find them) for her, install them and, when prompted, enter the registration codes and they'll be just as good as new

- she buys the apps she needs off of eBay or Craigslist

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, I used Migration Assistant, and yes, cleanup is required. The only issue I have now is that Entourage did not migrate the email. I have to find out what extension Entourage mailboxes are, so I can try to find them and import them. Other than that, MS Office migrated well.

So, as a newbie, I have had the pleasure of doing two installs, one Archive and Install on my machine and one Erase and Install on a PowerMac G4. Now I just have to do an Upgrade for a Hat Trick :D

My friend had never seen Spotlight, so was impressed by that. She also really liked QuickLook.

I seem to recall that Migration Assistant lets you select which type of data you want to transfer from the old Mac to the new one and I think one of the options was applications.

The problem with the way you plan on doing this is that dragging over the apps from the backup will not let you drag all the invisible files you need to make these apps work correctly.

I see three options for your friend here if she can't find the installer disks:
- you use Migration Assistant to transfer over the apps she needs (but be prepared to do plenty of cleaning up afterwards - all the apps you transfer over won't necessarily be compatible or work and trying them out might bring crashes or worse, kernel panics: but cleaning up she will definitely need to do! Going from Jaguar to Leopard is a very big step!)

- you download the apps in demo form (if you can still find them) for her, install them and, when prompted, enter the registration codes and they'll be just as good as new

- she buys the apps she needs off of eBay or Craigslist

M

MacHeadCase

From what I've seen so far with the Leopard installs, I'd skip the Upgrade method if I were you and never mind the hat trick for a while. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.