how easy is it to blow MBP speakers?

Reaction score
just wondering, i was watching a movie at full volume on VLC controls and two notches below max volume (using the volume keys) to watch an action movie from the desk to the bed in a hotel room. i was worried i'd blow the speakers, that's why i kept it two notches below max volume, but how easy is it to blow them out? and how about for mb speakers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I've wondered/worried about the very same thing. I'm curious to see if anyone has any information on damaged speakers.

Reaction score
my right speaker cracks a little from having the volume all the way up for music. I deal with it though. I dont really use them much

OP
T
Reaction score
my speakers arent blown from watching the action movie in VLC at full volume (and os x at two notches below max), but i'm just curious how easily they blow out... because i'm a paranoid person when it come to my toys :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Id be willing to bet, not all that easy...as long as your not driving them to the point of distorting.

If your in a situation that requires you to use all the volume that VLC offers, get a good pair of external speakers.

OP
T
Reaction score
yeah but i'm alright from cranking it at max on VLC and two notches below OS X right?

next time i will use external speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you are really worried about blowing them, just turn it down some.

OP
T
Reaction score
yeah true, that's what i plan on doing. but what i meant is that i didnt cause any damage to my speakers from having vlc at max and os x volume 2 notches below max, did i? because the speakers dont seem blown to me.

i'm paranoid when it comes to my electronics!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
yeah but i'm alright from cranking it at max on VLC and two notches below OS X right?

next time i will use external speakers.

Impossible to say...depends on what your listening too and a million other factors. If your that worried about it, turn it down. As long as there is no distortion, you should be good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.