Installed Leopard and now my AIRPORT IS GONE!

Reaction score
i just upgraded to Leopard from a PowerBook G4. I had most recently been using 10.3.9.

(I got a new 80 GB ipod classic) and found out that I'd have to upgrade my system to use the new ipod.

Anyway....

so the upgrade seemed to go well.

At the end it asked me to register, which I did, and it asked me to create a .mac account. Which I also did.

I had to restart one more time...

but this time... MY AIRPORT NEVER TURNED ON!

Clicking on the icon in the upper right hand corner it now says, "NO AIRPORT CARD INSTALLED"

WHAT HAPPENED??

I'm frustrated beyond belief.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is the first so far I have seen this problem. Not sure what to say at this point since 10.5 has been out there only 2 days. I would try an Archive and Install from the Install DVD. Nothing will be lost. Did Airport work when you were registering and signing up for .mac?

OP
R
Reaction score
yes, i think airport was working when i registered and signed up for .mac.

everything seemed to have completed.

I'm pretty sure the Airport icon was showing full bars... but i wasn't paying that much attention, b/c i wasn't expecting this to happen.

OP
R
Reaction score
Also..

If I go into system preferences - network - and i click on AIRPORT and try to turn it ON, nothing happens.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also..

If I go into system preferences - network - and i click on AIRPORT and try to turn it ON, nothing happens.

Have found nothing yet but one quick question, have you tried rebooting? Just wondering.

OP
R
Reaction score
I've restarted several times. I'm good with computers... just not this technical stuff. Is there a fancy reboot I could try?

OP
R
Reaction score
I appreciate you trying to help.

I was going to start reinstalling and Archive and Install like you had suggested....
but after the initial install I don't have enough hard drive space. Ugh.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been searching around and so far no one with No Airport even showing up. Some were having connection issues but the Keychain update fixed that. Will keep looking.

On the Reboot thing, you would be shocked how many come here and do not even do a simple reboot to be sure that will not solve the problem! Nothing against you.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm actually taking it to the Genius Bar right now.
Thankfully there's a 24hr APPLE in NYC.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hopefully they'll see me, the girl on the phone made it sound like they will.

Reaction score
Same problem

I just installed and have the same problem. I will wait to see what you find out. I did another install on an old IMAC and there were no problems but the airport card is relatively new.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm actually taking it to the Genius Bar right now.
Thankfully there's a 24hr APPLE in NYC.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hopefully they'll see me, the girl on the phone made it sound like they will.

Good luck and for sure let us know what they find and if there is a fix.

Reaction score
Tried a shutdown

I just now did a complete shutdown and the airport came back. At least for now it seems to be happy.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm back....

the girl on the phone was wrong. She said if I just show up... usually late at night you can still be seen.

The store was insane. It was just as busy as the store is during the day or on the weekends. CRAZY!

I spoke to one person on the floor and the only advice they could give me is to reinstall with Archives which was already mentioned.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm back....

the girl on the phone was wrong. She said if I just show up... usually late at night you can still be seen.

The store was insane. It was just as busy as the store is during the day or on the weekends. CRAZY!

I spoke to one person on the floor and the only advice they could give me is to reinstall with Archives which was already mentioned.

Probably new Leopard users like you! :D

Try the Archive and Install. I am pretty sure it will work.

hmj

Reaction score
My AirPort gone too

I also lost AirPort network after upgrade to 10.5.

Upgraded my 2 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac from 10.4.10 with Archive and Install. Wireless ok. Then after a while and some reboots AirPort lost network. Tried restarting. Tried turning AirPort off and on. Could still not see any network.

But I CAN see my wireless network with iStumbler, so nothing is wrong with the AirPort hardware.

Tried new Archive and Install. No change. Frustrating...

OP
R
Reaction score
it seems i'm not the only one with this problem.

i'm archiving and installing right now.

fingers crossed.

OP
R
Reaction score
IT WORKED!

Do the Archiving and reinstall worked.

what a relief!

thanks for all your help.

So does that mean I can delete the original Install? Since it's taking up a lot of space??

Reaction score
Same problem here...

I have a PowerBook G4 15''. After installing Leopard and two reboots everything seemed to be running fine. Then I installed the newest updates I got from the web. While shutting down for the reboot I had a message about boot sector needing to be updated or re-written and ever since the computer behaves as if I did not have an airport card.

Apparently you solved it by archiving. Please excuse my ignorance and help me - how to archive?

Thank you very much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.