Kismac woes in Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram, 120GB HD, 64MB Vram
I am using the latest build of kismac on a new macbook, and I have had no problems up until now. I just installed Leopard today, and boom...kismac would not work with my airport extreme card in passive mode anymore. I was able to get it working with a USB device, but when I try to use the Airport Extreme card in passive mode I get this...Could not initiate driver. Below that title is this "KisMAC was able to load the driver backend for Airport Extreme Card, but it was unable to create an interface. Make sure your capture device is properly plugged in. If you think everything is correct, you can try to restart your computer. Maybe your console.log and system.log show more details."

Is there anybody else having this problem? Is it something I can fix by tweaking some settings, or is it a larger issue than that? I assume it is.
Either way I would very much appreciate input. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
hi,

im having driver problems too it seems... there are quite a few things in leopard that need ironing out..... if anyone has a solution to this I would be interested :)

Benny

Reaction score
i've got the same problem

i've got the same problem. i've just installed OS X 10.5 Leopard and kismac gave me the same error as you...

(first post btw ;D )

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
hi,

im having driver problems too it seems... there are quite a few things in leopard that need ironing out..... if anyone has a solution to this I would be interested :)

Benny

The issue is not Leopard but KisMac. They need to fix the issue, not Apple.

When people start to understand just how many changes there are in Leopard over Tiger and get it out of their mindset that Leopard is NOT just a Service Pack, then it will make sense.

I am sure that the KisMac folks will fix it ASAP.

Sorry if this sounds hard, but I am really tired of all the Leopard is just a facelift with a few stupid features. It's starting to get to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Uh, it seems like the OP and several folks in the linked thread are. One guy there (Fish) even says "Not surprisingly, Apple has yet again broken functionality with their latest update to the OS (namely Leopard)".

Sounds to me like Apple made changes that broke the way it worked. It's their OS, they can do what they want. A good developer would have been working on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
In this case, however, the developer has abandoned the project due to Germany's insane new anti-hacking laws. Legitimate security tools, including nessus, nmap, kismac/kismet, and others are officially considered illegal in Germany now. The use or possession of them is a crime, and the creation of them? That's liable to get you into a whole other mess of trouble.

Considering he's in Germany, he decided to just shut down rather than risk the liability or jail time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In this case, however, the developer has abandoned the project due to Germany's insane new anti-hacking laws. Legitimate security tools, including nessus, nmap, kismac/kismet, and others are officially considered illegal in Germany now. The use or possession of them is a crime, and the creation of them? That's liable to get you into a whole other mess of trouble.

Considering he's in Germany, he decided to just shut down rather than risk the liability or jail time.

In that case, I don't blame him.

Reaction score

All,

I have now read on one site that the problem with getting Kismac (in promiscuous mode) to run on a Macbook Pro Intel core 2 duo is that it depends on the airport extreme card you have. Some MBPs have a Lucent card which works and others have another card not sure of the manufacturer that does not, however some say it is due to some FCC interference trying to crack down on hacking. I am not sure if this is factual since I have not looked into exactly what card I have, but I know it will not work on my Mac and I get the same useless error "KisMAC was able to load the driver backend for Airport Extreme Card, but it was unable to create an interface. Make sure your capture device is properly plugged in. If you think everything is correct, you can try to restart your computer. Maybe your console.log and system.log show more details."

It is too bad to read what Perry Lynch had to say about the development and I am guessing no one is picking up where our German friend left off. Perhaps we can talk him into talking a job outside of Germany?

The below link and any referring to kismac.com do not work I am guessing again due to this guy not wanting to be sent to the reeducation camp or worse prison. What a great way to treat the best and brightest. I thought only our government in the US did this kind of thing.

KisMAC-ng Forum - View topic - Leopard Problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.