Accessing Vista Ultimate from Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Hey,
I have a two Desktops at home.... one Mac and one PC...

My Mac is a PowerPC G4 with Panther on it. The PC which belongs to my brother, had XP on it. It used to be a breeze connecting to it. I even got an applescript ready to mount the shared drives on the PC in just one click. The catch is I used to use the Go>Connect to Server> smb://.... routine. And I always used the Administrator account and password for it.
Recently my bro put Vista Ultimate on it.... now my script doesn't work and if I try to connect to it the usual way.... it does not work.... I get stuck @ the point when it asks for a username and password for the Vista PC....

Any ideas would be helpful.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Thanks but it didn't work

Thanks for the info man, but it didn't work for me. How did you get it work for you???

Anyone else has an idea of what to do???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you logging in with Username and Password? Since you already have your Mac set up as it worked with XP, what I pointed you too should do it but you do have to log in. I always used Administrator and the Admin password for both XP and Vista.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you logging in with Username and Password? Since you already have your Mac set up as it worked with XP, what I pointed you too should do it but you do have to log in. I always used Administrator and the Admin password for both XP and Vista.

I use the Administrator account for XP too. But that is the problem. The Administrator password and account does not work anymore.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just can't understand what is going on.

I changed whatever the link said to change... I enabled the Administrator account (Vista disables this by default).... I checked whether both the PCs are on the same workgroup....
I did practically everything I know to do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just can't understand what is going on.

I changed whatever the link said to change... I enabled the Administrator account (Vista disables this by default).... I checked whether both the PCs are on the same workgroup....
I did practically everything I know to do.

I will do some checking around and get back to you. I no longer have Vista here so can't mess with it. This was back in the RC2 days. Before I changed the network settings in Vista like the URL I gave you, I could not log in at all. After that change it worked both ways with every Mac here at the house. I can't remember if I had to do something special to log in or not. Will get back to you if I find something.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will do some checking around and get back to you. I no longer have Vista here so can't mess with it. This was back in the RC2 days. Before I changed the network settings in Vista like the URL I gave you, I could not log in at all. After that change it worked both ways with every Mac here at the house. I can't remember if I had to do something special to log in or not. Will get back to you if I find something.

Thanks for the help dude. I'm trying to find help online too. But every site that I've been to so far tells me to do what you've already told me to do.

I would gladly tell my brother to go back to XP but its his choice to use Vista and since its his PC, I have no real say in the matter.
Personally I don't feel that Vista has all the bugs taken out of it yet. All software goes through this stage. But its more striking in Windows. I never moved to XP from 2000 until SP2 came out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.