Adding music to web page?

Reaction score
I'm currently using iweb to build a website. I've been trying to aud an audio file the individual pages. Basically when you open the page I want the song to start. The only way I've been able to add music is by inserting an icon that requires you to press play. Does anyone know a trick to get the music to play automatically?

thanx,

garrett

Reaction score
Noooo... don't do it buddy!
Seriously, it's a really bad idea. It was popular several years ago and it died because nobody wanted to hear it.
Unless you're a musician, you really shouldn't do this. Myself personally, if I open a page and music starts playing then I will leave it in an instant.

However, if you are actually a musician, then Flash is your answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Background music bad. Sound effects good (dead link removed).

Reaction score
So no one knows how to do this

So no one knows how to have music start when a page opens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
I think we do but no-one likes it ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I'm currently using iweb to build a website. I've been trying to aud an audio file the individual pages. Basically when you open the page I want the song to start. The only way I've been able to add music is by inserting an icon that requires you to press play. Does anyone know a trick to get the music to play automatically?

thanx,

garrett

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57031

Sorry guys. Haha. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
http://webdesign.about.com/od/sound/ht/htsound.htm

Just no though...please no...if you make a website that includes sound and dosnt make me want to leave i will buy you a drink but it's almost a universal faux pas as far as web trends go.

Music in websites went out with garish background patters and green text on black background. It's just annoying especially if someone tries to view your website in an office.

Try it though. See if it works and compliments the visual design...don't let us put you off...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
+1 brazillion

I abhor sites with any kind of audio - there's nothing worse than browsing at work, or while on the phone and hitting a site with music blaring, so that everybody knows you are not doing anything work related.

I pretty much boycott any site that forces me to listen to audio.

dp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
1. Whenever I encounter such a web page, I either:

a) leave.
b) mute volume.

2. I strongly recommend that you start using HTML codes (I tell this to everyone!). iWeb and similar programs add lots of extraneous coding and files and just make a mess of your website.

Reaction score
Embeding music in a website

Well I sympathise with you. I, too, am trying to find out how to embed music on a website. Apparently this is not the right place to find out. Just a lot of busy bodies, instead of helping, they are trying to tell you what you ought not to do. Presumably you are of sound mind, and live in a democracy ? In the event, then, you have the right to do what you like. Personally I don't think you should give a tinker's cuss to them. The question, you reasonably asked, was how do I embed music in a website ? Not, what is your opinion of music embedded a website ?

I am now going to try my local refuse disposal engineers office, I have got a feeling that they may better be able to answer the question, than Mac Forum !

Incidentally if others do not like music on your website then, at the very least, they can turn down the volume to a point where it is inaudible !

Vernony

United Kingdom

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1. Whenever I encounter such a web page, I either:

a) leave.
b) mute volume.

2. I strongly recommend that you start using HTML codes (I tell this to everyone!). iWeb and similar programs add lots of extraneous coding and files and just make a mess of your website.

You're nicer than I am.. I leave. I suppose this is ok if you only count page clicks.

and yes, this post is old... people were tired of music on webpages in 2009... by now, I have no patience for it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You're nicer than I am.. I leave. I suppose this is ok if you only count page clicks.

and yes, this post is old... people were tired of music on webpages in 2009... by now, I have no patience for it.

The embed music (MIDI to boot) died along with the crazy animated GIFs, the scrolling colorful banner and the CRAZY contrast in background and font colors..:)

People are now impressed by minimalism design and functional websites, not things that just take up space for the sake of taking up space..

Reaction score
You could also try to play around with the Spotify music plugin, however I don't think you can actually hide the player. But at least it's pretty simple to embed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.