iPhoto & iMovie '06 vs. '08

Reaction score
I've read a lot of negative comments about both iPhoto & iMovie '08 and that a lot of people feel that the '06 versions were better.

I've not used them yet so I'll hold off on my own judgement but I was wondering if in fact the '08 versions are not as good as the '06 can I purchase the '06 suite and just install those two programs from it...???

Probably a rookie question but that's because I won't even get my machine until next week...

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I can't speak for iMovie as I haven't got a video camera so don't use it.
I do however use iPhoto 08 daily and it is a definate improvement on iPhoto 06
Just in the editing dept alone. Events take a little getting used to . The learning curve isn't a steep one,iPhoto 08 does all I want it to. For other editing I use Pixelmator

Reaction score
Well iPhoto 08 is a definite improvement to 06 and iMovie 08 is totally new compared to 06. Which is better? Well that's a mater of personal opinion. But if you purchase iLife 08 you can download iMovie HD (06) for free. Best of both worlds.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks...As I said I'm not gonna pass judgement until I give them a fair shot...I'm just wondering if I have options...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15inch Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel DC 2Gb Ram 100Gb +750Gb WD ext *Glossy Screen* ;-)
Stay Away Unless You're Using DV only!

I've used the old Imovie a lot and loved it. The New version that came with my mac eats a big one for my needs, I'm trying to import all the old family video's. My only way to get them from VCR to HD is through my PC program VHS to DVD by Honestech. This limits me only to Avi and Mpeg formats, of which the new iMovie doesn't want anything to do with. I've been going through a lot of trouble just to ne anle to use iMovie again. I've still yet to edit a single video because of Import problems. Does anyone know if I can get the old iMovie off my Tiger installation disks? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15inch Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel DC 2Gb Ram 100Gb +750Gb WD ext *Glossy Screen* ;-)
Sweet

I appreciate the info, I'm wondering if imovie HD will work for me, I'm not using any HD video, and I'm looking for the old features found in 04, I was under the impression that 6 was the same. I guess I'll Let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This isn't that difficult a situation. iPhoto 08 is much better than 06, hands down. Now iMovie is a mixed bag, but the great part is that if you don't like 08, then 06 is available as a free download.

So there's really nothing for you to worry about. Just ignore all the criticism you've been reading about iLife 08, it's mostly nonsense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iphoto is better, imovie, no

I do like the new iPhoto much better but I'm still skeptical as to iMovie. I downloaded 06 (HD) and it still doesn't want to import the files I need. It won't import an Avi, mpeg of any kind, or a .mov file. My files won't open in quicktime either. The only way for me to play them is through VLC, and thats fine and dandy, but it doesn't help me with my editing situation. Anyone think purchasing quicktime pro would fix my situation? I've downloaded many codecs and they havn't made any difference. Let me know your thoughts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.