Restoring from Backup

Reaction score
I am attempting to restore our system from an external HD to a G5 iMac using Backup from .Mac. The Backup plan saved the entire Mac HD, and I have been able to restore the applications we want. However, I can't locate any user folders except the shared one. As far as I know these user folders have the library, music and photo folders that I really want to restore, but I can't access this information. I assumed that since the user folders are within Mac HD that everything would be saved. Have I made a massive mistake, or is there some trick I am missing ? The size of the backup files on the external drive suggest that this information is still there, I just can't access it. Can someone help ?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you go to Mac HD -> Users, do you see any other folders beside the shared folder?

If you can see them, but can not access them. Then you have a permissions problem.

Reaction score
Same Situation

Here is my situation. I've done a clean install of Leopard. I've got an external hard drive with all my important things on it. I used the .Mac Backup on to the external Hard Drive periodically. I need the info that's on the external hard drive brought over to the new Leopard. Any advice? Major panic mode.

OP
T
Reaction score
If you go to Mac HD -> Users, do you see any other folders beside the shared folder?

If you can see them, but can not access them. Then you have a permissions problem.

Similar to Carjar I have done a clean install of Leopard. The only folder I can see in the users folder is the shared one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.