Backup?

Reaction score
I had 10.4 running on my usb hard disk great for 2 months. It crashed. It is possible to boot from usb on intel trust me.

Anyhow, I just installed leopard on my internal hd erase and install. Works great now.

I connected the usb drive and it doesn't show. It only shows in disk utility from leopard or from cd but it never mounts. It can't be repaired either.

Does anybody know what the error means and what I can do?

http://www.sendusyourstories.com/ts/exes/podu1.gif

ivnj

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I had 10.4 running on my usb hard disk great for 2 months. It crashed.

The drive crashed. You're telling us it won't boot at this time, now will it even mount, and from all the errors it is showing, if it is not a failed drive, the partition is basically dead.

You might try something like Disk Warrior to see if that can repair it, if it's worth the $100 to try to save whatever may be on the drive.

If not, would do an erase and format, you'll find out real quick if it is a dead drive or not.

Reaction score
This is a bit crazy but try connecting it to the USB 1.0 port on your Keyboard, that is unless you have a portable ... in which case use a USB 1.0 port if any ... see if the drive will mount in Disc Utilities ...

Also I notice in the attached pic that there is no Mount Point in the info down the bottom of the Disc Utility window ... shouldn't there be one showing there? If there was a Mount Point I was going to suggest you click on it (usually it's a / and is actually a link) as that is another way of mounting a drive ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.