OS 10.5 - Couple Questions about Leopard - SUID file

Reaction score
I ran permissions and I got this... What does it mean? Also for some reason I cant install my hp printer software.

Picture 1.png

OP
K
Reaction score
Do you guy's recommend a reinstall or just wait for the updates? I checked the permissions again after the printer install from hp online and it had over 100 problems all to with the printer library. I deleted the hp software and re-ran permissions. I now only have the SUID problem.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
OS 10.5 - Couple Questions about leopard - SUID file

Just did a clean install of leopard and all seems well but...tried opening a zip file and I got some error saying it's not permitted or something? I opened other zip files without a problem though. So I just tried repairing permissions, which usually takes 2 seconds back on tiger, and its been going for SEVERAL minutes now with the progress bar just spinning and showing no progress. Why can't I repair permissions? Or is it repairing something HUGE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Alright, I think that was just a bad zip file, but I still can't repair permissions. After sever minutes I get the message: "Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired."

So....there's something wrong already? I just wiped my hard drive how could there be? Any help would be very appreciated....thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Running it right now, I'll let ya know.

Edit: worked fine on my Quad and G4 iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dang.....I hope this isn't just my computer...should I do a clean install again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My friend also has a core duo 2Ghz black macbook and he is having the same issue with the same error message with leopard. Can anyone else check to see if they can repair permissions? I don't think this is an isolated issue.

Reaction score
Couple Questions about leopard

Hi, I just upgraded to Leopard yesterday. I did a disk/permissions verify this morning and I get this message when I do it:
Warning: SUID file
"System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired. Does anyone know what this means?

also

While I'm on the internet my connection constantly gets hung up. Ill be fine for a few minutes, then all of a sudden Ill click on a link or go to a different website and it will show the load bar in the bottom right hand corner but it will be completely stuck. When it does this the signal meter usually temporarily goes from 4 bars to 3. The only way to get it to finish loading is to click the signal meter on the menu bar, once it goes from airport scanning to airport on, I can re-click the internet browser and the page will finish loading (most of the time). This also happens when I first open the web browser sometimes. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have a solution? (I know I should have included these in my last thread)

M

MacHeadCase

Even though the non-descriptive title did not lead you to the thread, there is a similar thread on this subject. Will merge your thread with that one.

But we'll use part of your title instead, it'll be so much better for searches. ;D

Reaction score
I do what I can, im glad it helped lol. I was just trying to keep it to one thread instead of 2 and couldnt think of a title that included both. I found the thread you were talking about but does anyone know anything about the second part of my question? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
My friend also has a core duo 2Ghz black macbook and he is having the same issue with the same error message with leopard. Can anyone else check to see if they can repair permissions? I don't think this is an isolated issue.

Well well well... I have a black MacBook and had a SUID error when trying to upgrade (see my thread here, so that's pretty weird.)

I couldn't remember the error message, but it was "SUID cannot create folder".

I don't supposed you installed it without the Language Pack and without X11 did you?

M

MacHeadCase

I am curious about this SUID business. So I googled to find out what it actually is. So far, from what I can see it means Set User ID:

Definition: SUID (set user ID): The SUID permission causes a script to run as the user who is the owner of the script, rather than the user who started it. It is normally considered extremely bad practice to run a program in this way as it can pose many security problems. Later versions of the Linux kernel will even prohibit the running of shell scripts that have this attribute set.

And here's more info:

What is SUID?
SUID stands for set user id. When a SUID file executed, the process which runs it is granted access to system resources based on the user who owns the file and not the user who created the process. When a file is SUID root it allows a program/script to perform functions that regular users are not allowed to do themselves. Many buffer overflow exploits are the result of SUID programs.

• File permissions for SUID enabled files: -rwsr-xr-x

• Examples of SUID root programs:
logging in
changing passwords
low level networking routines
control of graphical display functions
su

• Thomas Akin's Seven Rules for Safe SUID Programming:
Do not use SUID shell scripts.
Never use SUID C-shell scripts.
Always manually set your internal field separator (IFS).
Always manually set your PATH and use absolute path names.
Understand how programs you call work, and how they handle arguments.
Do not use temporary files. If you must, don't put them in a publicly writeable area.
Distrust and check all user input and eliminate dangers such as meta-characters.

M

MacHeadCase

I am not a programmer by any means but what this looks like to me is that Leopard probably has a different security scheme than Tiger had and some apps that are almost completely compatible (they don't crash) will trigger this error message in Leopard?

Maybe this makes no sense though...

Reaction score
If I'm understanding what your saying then maybe everyone that is having the problem should post a list of non combined apps they've installed to see if there is a common one.
When I first noticed the problem I had: App Delete, Adium, and Firefox. I did an erase and install so I don't think there could be any other lingering app files that could cause it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.