OS 10.5 - Couple Questions about Leopard - SUID file

Reaction score
Verify Permissions Warning

I ran Verify Permissions on my Internal Drive and got this message, what does it mean, and how do I fix it? I don't use Remote Desktop

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Reaction score
I googled this and over at Apple Discussions there are a few people with this problem ... don't know if there's any real info on the warning ... people seem to be filing bug reports though ... sorry that's all I can say.

EDIT

I just found the following advice, don't know if it works though:

Turn off Apple Remote Desktop in your System Preferences and try Repairing Permissions again.

The problem with repairing permissions in Leopard is due to the updated Remote Desktop client 3.2.1 with which you are presented by Software Update after the Leopard installation. It is this piece of softaware that causes Disk Utility to take along time to repair permissions and to present you with Sudo "System/Library/Core Services?Remote Management/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MAC OS/ ARDAgent has been modified and will not be repaired." Unless you are running Apple Remote Desktop, you don't need this update.

A second problem I encountered was trying to install Leopard on a disk that was not journalled. After installation the disk was journalled and could not be changed. According to Apple, Leopard requires journalling in order for some of its pieces, such as Time Machine and Mail, to run properly. If you clone it to a partition that is not journalled you could encounter problems.

I don't know how accurate this info is but it appears there's no real info on how to get around this problem ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I have this problem as well as my friend. I don't have remote desktop on as I don't even know what it is, so that can't be the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I ran Verify Permissions on my Internal Drive and got this message, what does it mean, and how do I fix it? I don't use Remote Desktop

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I got the exact same thing when I ran mine tonight...Have you had problems with your browsers crashing as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if we reinstall and don't do the update if this would help...

Reaction score
well I read that if you don't use ARD, then don't accept the update through Software Update just after you install Leopard .. see quote in my earlier post. There's no real evidence that this will fix anything tho'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anyway to remove this update once it is installed?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had the same warning - and I did allow the ARD update after completing my fresh install.

Am only guessing here, but looks like this is something that was intended to be included with the release of Leopard and wasn't. The permission verification utility does not have any info related to this, so it does not know what it is suppose to be, therefore it just gives you a warning - as in, "there is something new here that I know nothing about". I really don't believe it is anything to be concerned about.

But, if you are not using Remote Desktop Management and having this warning is a concern to you, then you can simply remove the ARD application. It is located in /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement. There you will find the app ARDAgent. Tested this on my own rig by drag-n-dropping this app to the trash and re-ran Verify Permissions. The warning is now gone.

Am not using this myself at the time, however, I did put it back after my testing, in case I do want it down the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
But, if you are not using Remote Desktop Management and having this warning is a concern to you, then you can simply remove the ARD application. It is located in /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement. There you will find the app ARDAgent. Tested this on my own rig by drag-n-dropping this app to the trash and re-ran Verify Permissions. The warning is now gone.

Am not using this myself at the time, however, I did put it back after my testing, in case I do want it down the line.

I removed the ARD application and have had the same result as bobtomay. Verify permissions is still very slow but there is no error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just found this while googling, can anyone else confirm this is a widespread issue? Has anyone else tried to repair permissions yet?

I have done an erase install three times and still having issues. I got the SUID FILES also...I have done 3 permission repairs and still issues...my browsers crash constantly...

Reaction score
SUID file modified since Leopard

After installing Leopard I did a repair disk permissions and got the following message:

Does anyone know what this means and if its important?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Already a pretty long thread about this.
My particular opinion is leave it alone and forget it.
My post in that thread
The whole thread

It was modified by an Apple update, which is why it will not be repaired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Permissions Verification

Ran this for the 1st time...

zoolook_permission said:
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be 0, user is 501.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj", should be 0, user is 501.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be 0, user is 501.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Group differs on "Library/PreferencePanes", should be 0, group is 80.
Permissions differ on "Library/PreferencePanes", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/jvm.cfg", should be 0, user is 95.
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Libraries/classlist", should be 0, user is 95.

Should I be worried?

M

MacHeadCase

Going to merge this thread with another on SUID File warnings.

Edited to add:

According to this Apple Knowledge Base Article, you shouldn't be worried but I admit Apple's entry is kinda vague... Why do these warnings pop up? They really should fix that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just ignore the SUID warnings. No doubt Apple will have a fix in the upcoming X.5.2, until then have a look at this:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306925

Now about Repair Permissions. This is a vastly different animal to earlier versions. Give it time. On average about 12 minutes to get the bar moving and up to 20 minutes to complete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
But I didn't modify that!

My machine did something weird. It was accessing the hard drive a ton, and I managed (somehow?) to get in to activity monitor. in a few moments, the whole thing just flatlined. No drive activity. Nothing happening on the screen. The ram was pretty much free (14 MB out of 1024MB used) and then it froze. Nothing moved. Music stopped. Couldn't move the mouse. Pressed and held the power button, but it acted as if I pushed shut down from the Apple menu. Then, the screen turned off and the hard drive did. The fans ran for a minute or two, and then turned off. It wouldn't turn on for 10 minutes or so. I turned it on, and everything seemed fine.

I went to repair permissions and I got 5 cajillion (give or take a few hundredths) errors saying: MACOSXOMGALERT! Warning: SUID file "insert gigantic file path only mathogre understands" has been modified and will not be repaired. I tend not to modify system files because (a) I can't find them (b) I like working Macs. I installed a bit of HP software and boy did I have a lot of repairs to do.

I'm running an iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHz 17 inch with 1GB RAM under Mr ShinyCat...erm Leopard 10.5.1

We need a forum for software-hybrid issues :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Weird, sounds like something you would get with a Windows system, not a Mac...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.