system to system question

E

enorblack

I own 2 Quicksilver G4 powermacs, one has the new Panther version 10.3. The other computer runs on OS9 and OSX 10.2, the MAC with Panther is horrible, it crashes, freezes or stops programs, SAFARI is bad too, now I am thinking to reinstall 10.2 and OS9 as on my other MAC since that one runs perfectly. Now my question is. Is it possible to run the other MAC as firwire by hitting T, so the Macintosh HD pops up on the other MAC, then I delete everything on there and drag all the files from my first MAC G4 to the 2nd G4 Harddisk, so it contains all the system files. Instead of using the discs from Apple and reinstall everything the old fashion way..I know this is possible with programs, but a complete system too????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
If panther is crashy aqnd freezy, there is def. a problem! My suggestion would be to remedy that first..Once Panther is running correctly, I have a strong feeling that you won't want to put OS 9 and Jaguar on it! ;)

OP
E

enorblack

Yes, but thats the thing, whats IS the problem? All the applications I need to run my business are under 9 and OS jaguar and never have problems, so why not switch it. Question is just if I can copy system files to the other HD in order to have it running

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I would guess a hardware problem. The Quicksilver Macs are powerfull enough to run Panther smoothly.
Even an AGP Mac can run Panther without trouble.

I'm quite sure that, if you install Jaguar and OS9 on that Mac, it will still be crashing too. I don't think that Panther is the problem...

Try the hardware check of your system restore disk.
My first guess: RAM troubles

OP
E

enorblack

The hardware test CD that I got with my other MAC says it does not support my newer quicksilver MAC. The only thing I got with it is the restore software disc 1 and 2, and I remember I tried to install this software a couple of times when I got this trouble months ago, but nothing seemed to work. I thought it could be the RAM, what if I take out RAM and see if it still crashes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
try interchanging the ram between the two.

OP
E

enorblack

I found the hardware test CD for this quicksilver and I did the extended test. It gives an error to one of the 512 RAM. Can I fix this with the CD or I should just take it out and buy a new one??

OP
E

enorblack

I will switch both 512 RAMs with eachother and see if the error remains

OP
E

enorblack

by switching the RAM's it gives me another error about scripting , and I cannot even start the hardware test again. I took out the 512 RAM that is causing the error and remain the rest where they are. I will do another test and see the result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If the Hardware Test CD reported an error with one of the RAM modules, then that's where all your problems are coming from. It has nothing to do with the OS. Take that bad module out and get it replaced (call the company you bought it from.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Take out the faulty RAM-module and try running the Hardware test CD again...
It should report no error.

OP
E

enorblack

I took it out yesterday and since no problems, ****! :) thanks guys! I should ask another 512 MB from the company

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
the replacement should be free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.