MBP and TV by DVI question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Heyu guys, I have a quick question :)

If i connect a MBP into my HDTV via DVI, will that show the screen AND sound of my MBP on the tv through the DVI ? (as u may have realised i dont know much about dvi :()

I will probably occasionally do this to play games or watch movies.

Speaking of games.. I have a bluetooth mouse but not a bluetooth keyboard.. Will i be able to use the keyboard of the MBP for gaming while it is connected to the TV via DVI?

thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G
DVI is essentially a Video only version of HDMI, so it can be used through a HDMI connection on your TV but it wont carry the sound.

Do you have a sound system of any kind that you could connect the MBP to aswell?

if not, some TV's will allow you to use on of the L+R analogue audio connections in conjunction with a HDMI input.

Its generally an audio input thats related to a VGA input aswell, see if theres an option in the menu for the TV that allows this.

You would need a 3.5mm -> 2RCA lead to connect from the headphone jack to the TV if the above is possible.

If your not sure what your looking for, if post up a model number or post some pics of the connection panel, ill have a look an see if this is possible on your set.

HTH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.