• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Refurbished product quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Hey guys. As my parents said the MBP is too expensive, I am planning on buying a refurbished Macbook Pro 2.2 or 2.4 ghz after the next update of the MBP, so that hopefully they may be a lot cheaper.

I have a few questions.

1) Can u use the student discount with refurbished MacBook Pros?

2) How is the quality of the MBP overall? As if it is brand new? Is it a new battery and everything? Do they get rid of the scratches? Does it come well bv\oxed like the new MBPs? (love apple boxes :D)

3) Does it come with everything as if I bought a brand new MBP, iLife 08, Leopard, Remote and everything...

4) Finally, How much in USD do you think a 2.4ghz 15" Model (refurbished) will cost AFTER the next MBP update.. (with the expected Penryn chips)

Thanks in advance guys ;D

Reaction score
I don't specific answers for those quesitons, but I think you will find it will vary from product to product. Some MBP's may be returned with a dud screen, so they replace the whole LCD and sell it again, and it could be in mint condition....or it could be be something more serious that has been fixed. I'd assume they box it all back up properly for you too.

Fairly sure apple education and apple refurbished are 2 separate things. I have never seen a refurb product in the apple education store before.

Hope that helps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Hey guys. As my parents said the MBP is too expensive, I am planning on buying a refurbished Macbook Pro 2.2 or 2.4 ghz after the next update of the MBP, so that hopefully they may be a lot cheaper.

I have a few questions.

1) Can u use the student discount with refurbished MacBook Pros?

2) How is the quality of the MBP overall? As if it is brand new? Is it a new battery and everything? Do they get rid of the scratches? Does it come well bv\oxed like the new MBPs? (love apple boxes :D)

3) Does it come with everything as if I bought a brand new MBP, iLife 08, Leopard, Remote and everything...

4) Finally, How much in USD do you think a 2.4ghz 15" Model (refurbished) will cost AFTER the next MBP update.. (with the expected Penryn chips)

Thanks in advance guys ;D

1) No. It didnt for me.

2) I have a MB not MBP but the looks and qulaity are all new. Everything is replaced that broken and my battery was perfect.

3) Everything and I'm assuming Leopard. Very interesting question. I'd call Apple just to make sure.

4) The model you want now is 2199 which is a 13% discount. typically they'll go down to about 25% to 35% after an updated model, so I would wager between 1700 and 1900. That of course cant be verified by anyone, but that was my experience when I got my 2.0 macbook after the 2.16 macbook came out.

OP
ChaePod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the very straight forward answers. :)

I just checked the refurbished website and it said Leopard, but iLife 06?

is iLife 06 a mistake they have not updated yet, or are they not gonna give me iLife 08 for a while.

OP
ChaePod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been doing a bit of research and realised that I don't really need the 2.4 Ghz model. And i can do with a 2.2 ghz.

How much do you think a refurbished 2.2ghz MBP will cost AFTER the Penryn update?

P.S. It seems there are no 2.2 ghz refurbs on the apple site, only 2.4ghz and the 17" 2.4ghz (in the NZ apple store anyway)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
It will be iLife 08. You have to check teh refurb site often. The products change daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've bought the refurbished Macs in the past year. They have all worked perfectly. They look brand new too. The Macbook I bought came with 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB it said it would. My Pro came with 2GB (2x1GB) instead of the 2x512MB it was suppose to come with. It just happens sometimes with these accidental upgrades.

OP
ChaePod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
seems like something apple wouldn't do, but I guess u can't expect them to be perfect.

I hope they have some refurbished 2.2 MBPs in January (after the Penryn updates of course...)

I'm hoping to get one for around $1700-1800 Do you think this is likely?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.