Kernel_task

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
Hi...need to know something. Since I upgraded to Leopard and I'm no expert with mac, I have been getting kernel_task want to connect to alot of ports when I go to different website. Sound I let it connect or not cause I don't know that it is? I have little Snitch that I use to either block or let through.

Reaction score
To draw an analogy of sorts, Kernel_Task is your System’s heartbeat and is the very core of your OS. So it is extremely impo and needed for your system to run normally. Kernel extensions (like Drivers to talk to printers, mice etc.) are loaded via kernel extensions. It is run as root because of it’s massive importance to the health and well-being of Mac OS.

Also Kernel_Task is more or less a generic label and doesn't really let on exactly what is going on with the connection between your System and the websites you are visiting.

No doubt all those users that don't have Little Snitch would continue on regardless unaware of this and it's hard to know if there is anything sinister going on ...

So, while I can't really say whether or not you should allow this, someone else here will know ....

Was this a problem for you prior to your Leopard upgrade?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
No...before it use to tell me what was trying to connect...now it just says kernel_task is trying to connect to so and so. As before it would say Apple is trying to connect to...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
My bet is Little Snitch needs an update....I'm getting the same thing now, instead of the app being named all I get is "kernel task".....

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
My bet is Little Snitch needs an update....I'm getting the same thing now, instead of the app being named all I get is "kernel task".....

Yeah, I updated and everything is working just fine again...I mean Little Snitch not some of the other stuff I cannot install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo processor / 15" / 120Gb HD / SuperDrive / Express / Firewire / Tiger OS X
Beauty, I had the same issue. All fixed :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.