A Great Way to Make Your Black MacBook Look New

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Black) 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM 120GB HD, 2G iPod Shuffle 1GB (Orange)
First of all, this is my first post in the forums. Been a long lurker and finally "made the move" and joined the bandwagon. I am a recent Mac switcher, so my abilities of Mac are still hatching slowly. I'm a grade 8 student at a private school in Toronto (St.Michael's College if anyone lives nearby). I purchased a black MacBook the day before the 2.16GHz upgrade, but I still saved $400.

Enough of my boring introduction. Just like a few members here, I am very sensitive towards the appearance of my MacBook. The matte black finish is an easy target for those nasty little fingerprints. They drive me nuts. I tried numerous methods such as the usual wet microfiber cloth scheme, but with no success:

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

It does the job just like the bald man says so. It works especially well on the black matte casing of the MacBook.

1. Wet the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser (any variation out of the many will do).

2. Squeeze most of the water out, but not all as it needs a little more than you might think.

3. For the top case and the bottom case, stroke the foam left and right for about 2 minutes or so, while pushing it a tad harder than gently. It will be wet and some parts give off a glossy look.

4. Immediately, gently wipe the liquid with a microfiber cloth (any cloth can do really) until it is gone.

5. Your result is a MacBook that looks identical to its unboxing era. Repeat this process every week or so. The same process can be done at the bottom, though make sure you put extra care near the battery cover. It also works on the trackpad and the wristpad and the trackpad does not mess up at all even though liquid is applied. Just dry it off with a cloth and you'll be fine. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser can be found at your local grocery stores and drug stores.

Result: My 4-month old MacBook looks cleaner, that's right cleaner, than its first day out of the box. This process really works wonders. Please comment and give us a feedback if you tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I've heard they work great on mildew, too.

OP
Nurburgring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Black) 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM 120GB HD, 2G iPod Shuffle 1GB (Orange)
Me being a retard, I have only just noticed this method was practiced way before my time ;) I guess this is just one of those annoying reminders. Cheers.

OP
Nurburgring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RONE, I figured this method out when my mom was using it to clean our kitchen appliances. She was literally speechless as all the grime and residue were erased very quickly. According to her, it was really like magic. So, I did a double-take and risked my laptop's health and tried the method. Works great. Remember, the eraser does not contain any alcohol or any harmful chemicals. It is actually made of "melamine foam", which scrubs off fingerprints and residues at microscopic levels. So fear not, folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I read somewhere that those things contain formaldahyde, so you might want to consider wearing gloves when you use them....

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 Mid 2010
I read somewhere that those things contain formaldahyde, so you might want to consider wearing gloves when you use them....

T

Popular hillbilly myth...just because PART of ONE ingredient in the the chemical makeup is formaldahyde, does not make it hazardous. Table salt is sodium chloride, the sodium by itself might be hazardous, but sodium chloride is not....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Popular hillbilly myth...just because PART of ONE ingredient in the the chemical makeup is formaldahyde, does not make it hazardous. Table salt is sodium chloride, the sodium by itself might be hazardous, but sodium chloride is not....

Yeah, that's why they list the chemical contents of the sponge on the box, right? I haven't heard that "myth", so I guess I'm not a hillbilly.

Let me know what else ya'll hear...

Do a google search.

It's spelled G O O G L E

Also look up CHEMICAL BURN MR CLEAN SPONGE.

Then report back.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
First comment from first search result in Google:

1. That is NOT a chemical burn! Idiots.

The poor child erased his skin... that is what the melamine sponges do, scour off the top layers of whatever material they are applied to, skin is relatively soft in comparison to tile or counter tops so it gave easily. Plus since it feels soft he didn't stop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Formaldehyde is not as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. My Gross Anatomy professor has basically been living in the stuff for the past 20 years and he's doing just fine. Every veterinarian or physician you've ever met spent 3 years of their lives living in the stuff, and they're doing okay, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do some research you'll see it was a chemical burn because his skin continued to burn after he stopped using the eraser on it. However if you look at the package NO where does it say do not rub on skin, it only says don't eat.

All I was doing was making a suggestion. You can do with it what you want...

Sorry for showing concern. It won't happen again.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
Seems to be myth that it burns the skin, still not entirely willing to try it myself tho haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.