Fetch Upload Speed.

Reaction score
So my friend and I frequently trade files back and forth over his server which he got from GoDaddy.com. He uses CyberDuck to upload and I use Fetch. He's in LA and I'm in Boston.

Now- whenever I upload my speed is incredibly slow. I upload at about 40kb/sec. Why is this and how can I make it faster? I use the same internet connection to play computer/video games online (I have comcast hi-speed internet).

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
When you say "40kb/sec" do you mean "40 kilobytes per second," (40 kbps/320kBps) or "40 kilobits per second (5kpbs/40kBps.)

Because the former is actually pretty decent. Consumer internet connections are much slower to upload than download, and 320kbps is about right for cable.

OP
A
Reaction score
Probably whichever is the slower of the two. Let me put it this way- I uploaded a 900mb file and it took 5-6 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That works out to a little over forty kilobytes per second.

Which is actually a pretty high upload speed for a consumer internet connection.

OP
A
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned that's complete bull crap. It takes me about 10 seconds to upload a 1.2 mb jpeg. That's about 9 seconds longer than it should take anyone with a DSL or cable connection these days. I play halo on xbox live over the same connection- it has to be something either with fetch or something with my friend's server from GoDaddy.

...is it possible that because he pays about $50 a year for his server that his upload speed is slower? In other words can you getr faster and slower servers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 60 Gig Hard drive
Yes you can, deppends what he has. Like they said that speed is not bad at all.There not small files realy ithere, if you think that an av-photo size from a High-D camera (12.5 pega pix) is 4Mb and your doing 900Mb.

If its such a problem, why dont you ask your friend what his server speed is maybe you could pitch in an $50 a month, so you can get faster.If you go to https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/virtual.asp?isc=goox2001av&ci=9013&display=virtual
That will give you there Preconfigured Premium Plan .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I'm concerned that's complete bull crap.
You seem to be unable to grasp this fundamental fact: Your internet connection is not as fast as you think it "should be." It is as fast as you're paying for, which is probably 200-400 kilobits per second. Call your internet provider to find out exactly what upload speed you're paying for--it's not the same as your download speed.

At that upload rate, it will take several seconds for megabyte-sized files to get through. That's a fact. And I'm sorry that you can't seem to comprehend the math necessary to understand this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You seem to be unable to grasp this fundamental fact: Your internet connection is not as fast as you think it "should be." It is as fast as you're paying for, which is probably 200-400 kilobits per second. Call your internet provider to find out exactly what upload speed you're paying for--it's not the same as your download speed.

At that upload rate, it will take several seconds for megabyte-sized files to get through. That's a fact. And I'm sorry that you can't seem to comprehend the math necessary to understand this.

Yup!I agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yup!I agree. That all deppends on your internet provider, and what sort of an acount you have with them.Like mine is unlimted.Wicth means I get as mean downloads/up-loads as I wont for a set price, for as fast as my internet provider can give me.

OP
A
Reaction score
I get it now. Hmm.... my friend makes it seem like whenever I upload it takes forever but when he does it it goes much faster.

I guess you guys are right though. Thanks! I'm new to the web thing... kinda. I'm working on finishing my website and getting it up and going through all the phases etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.