Buy at Apple Store vs. Apple Online Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
I am buying a new Mac Pro tomorrow.

I was wondering the difference between buying it at the Apple Store vs. on apple.com

Will the applecare coverage change at all?

Also, what configurations do they carry in-store?

Could I get one like this in-store?

Model: Mac Pro

Processor: 4 core (2 x Dual Core Xeon (don't care if it's the 3 GHz or the 2.66 GHz)

Graphics: NOT the Nvidia GEForce 7300 (It seems to not be recommended on here), should I instead get the ATI X1900- does apple store carry models with the ATI card?

RAM: Don't care, will upgrade anyway with Crucial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I don't think there is any difference. If you can buy it at the Online store then you can buy it at the Apple Store. I am not sure if you can purchase custom configured computers in store though. I think that can only be done online.

Also when you buy in store you don't have to wait for your product to be shipped.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can not custom configure your system at the Apple store, you can only do that on-line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner
There's certain upgrades they can make at the store, such as installing the Bluetooth and/or Airport cards. I'm not sure about video cards, though. Best just to ask at the store.

Reaction score
I've been in my Apple store here in Orange County several times these past few weeks asking questions and bugging the heck out of them...They have been very cool and very patient...

The will upgrade and configure my iMac to any specs I want...that's according to the couple of geniuses (sp) that I've talked to...

Just checked my notes from a visit last week...The Apple gal I was talking to said: "Anything you can do online you can do in the store."

Not sure if that's accurate but that's what she told me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I got my macbook 2.16ghz with 2GB memory. As far as I know this isn't listed anywhere, but the mac store had this in stock as an upgraded model. The base model only comes with 1GB memory.

I'd get it at the local store if you can because you'll get it sooner if they have it in stock! :)

T

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
Well, I am now the proud new owner of a Mac Pro.

Thanks, guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.