Windows XP 32bit vs Windows 64bit

Reaction score
Wich is better?

I heard that if u got less than 4gigs of ram and running 64bit version, it wont be better than 32bit or even make it worse. i dunno.

Other thing, does the backward compativility for windows 32bit programs work well on the 64bit version or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I don't think that bootcamp support 64bit windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
64 bit Windows requires its own drivers. I am pretty sure you won't find them all for any model of Mac. Check first anyway.

If you're talking about bootcamp, our learned collegue above has already pointed out you can't do it. If I recall correctly, you need either XP sp2, or Vista. That's it. If you're using parallels, the drivers will still be an issue.

Regarding compatibility, I believe 32 bit Windows progs run fine on x64. 16 bit programs, which are pretty rare now, won't run at all.

To be honest x64 is still something of a curiosity so far. It can be a struggle to run on a standard PC. Running it on a Mac would add another layer of complexity that really makes it unfeasible.

Reaction score
I had x64 XP Pro on my PC desktop before. When my hard drive crashed, I went with 32 bit. The 64-bit version ran great, but it did have some driver incompatibilities. Do expect that not everyone is writing for x64 still, especially now that Vista is out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The general wisdom for most 64 bit versions of current OS', such as Windows XP and most Linux distros, is that you don't get any kind of a speed boost, and you pay the price in that there is limited driver support for most current hardware. So, there seems to be little reason to go there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.