Removing a USB drive without ejecting

Reaction score
Is it possible for OS X to let me remove a USB flash drive without first ejecting it and without receiving the device removal warning?

I have a Macbook Pro and a Windows desktop PC that I regularly use a USB flash drive with. In Windows I have no trouble just pulling the drive when I'm done with it, but in OS X I have to manually eject the drive before removal or I get the typical warning about removing without first ejecting.

Does it really hurt anything to remove a drive from under OS X without ejecting? If not, is there a way to disable the warning that pops up every single time? I always wait for any read/write to finish before I remove it so I don't see how that would hurt a thing.

It just becomes time consuming and annoying as I'm having to stop and wait to eject all throughout the day. (I use this thing a lot!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.2 ghz
Back in Tiger, I removed a 2gb drive without ejecting. I still have it... it just doesn't do anything anymore.

I wouldn't risk it. Watch the activity lights on your key when you eject and then watch them on a PC when you tell it to disconnect. OS X is doing something hardcore. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's not a good idea, because it could potentially lead to a corrupted disk or incomplete files. Ejecting it lets the Mac finish any activity in progress.

Similarly you shouldn't disconnect a device from a Windows PC without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" command.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, I understand the risks, which is why I say I wait for any operations to complete (I wait for the drive light to stop flashing). Despite the risk, I'm not dealing with anything I can't stand to lose but I am dealing with copying small files back and forth several times a day. Windows at least lets me do it my way without nagging me about it and I was hoping OS X would do the same.

Is there at least a hotkey for ejecting, rather than alt-clicking or dragging the drive icon to the trash?

I'm just looking to cut down on steps in what's already a repetitive task.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
The keyboard shortcut for ejecting is command+E.

OP
T
Reaction score
Does command-E do if you have multiple removal drives attached? Eject everything at once?

Thanks for all the info, BTW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Does command-E do if you have multiple removal drives attached? Eject everything at once?

It only removes the volume which you selected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

Thanks for all the info, BTW.

Cmd+E will Eject whatever drive is highlighted... even multiple drives.

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
In Windows I have no trouble just pulling the drive when I'm done with it

Sure, you have no trouble doing it until you wipe your data. It's not just about the drive being in use, but also that it is powered, and so you can cause a surge! Be careful ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.