Mail password problem

Reaction score
My mail has developed a rather annoying problem. Over the course of the last week or so, mail frequently prompts me to enter the password for my pop e-mail account which mail is configured to access and download from. Each time I re-enter the password, I ensure that the check box is selected to retain the password in my keychain.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I have had that problem before, I think its an issue with keychain rather than Mail.app.

I just deleted the password for the email that I was having a problem with in keychain and that fixed the problem.

I don't know if it will work in your case tho....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If you have changed the frequency that mail checks for new mail, that could have an effect. Asking mail to check too often will make it ask. If you have set the frequency to more often, set it back so that mail checks only every 5 minutes or so.

Reaction score
I am getting the same issue on a brand new machine. I have 4 different accounts using the same pop server. Mail.app keeps asking me for the passwords even though they are part of preference. I tried deleting the key chain entries with no luck. I had the time at 1 minute, so I will try the 5 minute interval now. I don't get the problem with Thunderbird. Too bad it can't send different accounts via the same smtp entry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
If all else fails then you could just try deleting that account in mail.app and just setting it up again....

Reaction score
I have dropped the accounts. After creating just one, everything seems to be ok. I am adding a second account now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It probably has nothing to do with mail and everything to do with mail server issues with your ISP or mail provider.

Reaction score
I installed Thunderbird as a test, and it doesn't not have the problem using the same set of accounts. I'd hate to switch to that given the mail.app looks a lot nicer. On my PC, Outlook Express and Outlook never have problems easier. I saw some posts from 04/05 where the verdict was mail.app wasn't handling the timeouts with the servers correctly. In either case, it is getting fairly annoying, so I may just be removing mail.app soon.

Reaction score
I just added google mail as imap. There was a noticeable difference in how fast it setup the account verus setting up one with verizon. That setup takes about a minute to come back for verfication on the incoming server and outgoing server. They may be the source of the delay, but the mail.app should be able to handle it, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.